Can a trailer be too big?

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Whats up fellas,

After my first year Ive grown significantly come the end of the season going from 5 customers to 25 customers. Ive done a bunch of landscaping jobs as well so about 50 to 55 clients this year in total. As a background i keep all my stuff in an old metal shed at my house that was there when i bought the property. This thing has seen better days, the doors are pretty much held up wit the lock i use to secure it.
Long story short, i need to either rent a storage unit (before my shed gets broken into) or get an enclosed trailer to use for my equipment and storage.
A good friend of mine has a 2019 blacked out 8.5'x24' enclosed car trailer he used to bring to the auction about 10times to pick up some rust buckets. The trailer is literally still brand new, tire wear looks non existent etc. I know parking with a trailer of this size can suck but most of my properties i can just pull up in front so wouldn't be a huge issue. He would sell it to me for $4500 when it retails for $8499 at the dealer near us.

My plans if i got the trailer would be to set up a "make shift" work area in the front of the trailer. Work bench and shelves for storage and a place to work on my equipment if its the off season and i cant be outside. I will have plenty of room to add another mower or different piece of equipment while being able to walk around stuff.

What are your guys thoughts on a trailer of this size? The deal is almost too good to pass up!

One-Man Lawn

LawnSite Senior Member
That seems...Huge.

I have a Nissan Frontier, and I think once I get a Z-Turn, I'll get an enclosed trailer that's just big enough for it and a push mower, with the storage racks on the walls of course.

If you can get a trailer that suits your needs better, new, for the same price, I would go that route. More isn't always better imo.

But I'm pretty much brand new, so take that with a grain of salt.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
If I was in your shoes I'd buy it, hard to pass up for that price. I started with a 7*18 utility trailer, another 6 feet of length would make things impossible for me with some neighborhoods where I would be blocking one or more driveways. If that's not a concern for you, sounds like it would be a good fit, given you'd have room for a mini workshop in the front and still plenty of room for other equipment. And then if you do end up with a three man crew you'll be set.

I wouldn't mind a gooseneck 24'. What trailer are you using now?

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like a sweet trailer for a good price, but wouldn’t fit my business needs. Good luck going around culdesacs. What axles does it have under it? The longest trailer I pull is an 18’, and it’s tough to park and get into some areas.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
It would make a good storage building. What do you haul your stuff around with now? I just got a 7x14 single axle open trailer and it seems huge compared to my old 5x10. My buddy pulls a 7x20 and wants to downsize to a 16. There's no way I'd tote around a 8x24 every day.

TomH&H

LawnSite Senior Member
MowDaddy's suggestion is exactly what I was going to say. If it's a great deal, buy it to have and to store things in, and be moved only if you need a bigger trailer to haul something on occasion. I would continue to use your existing trailer or setup for daily use. That 24 footer is just going to be too big to park in a lot of areas in most towns.

OP
TSP Lawn Care

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
20200925_121810.jpg

OP
TSP Lawn Care

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Yea so currently I have a 7x16. I'm thinking the deal is really good but from a practical stand point I feel like I should just look into 8.5x16 or maybe 18. I was thinking about flipping it and getting what I need and just use the extra money to replace my shed but it might be more work than I have time going into the fall season.

Top Forums