Can anyone identify this Grass/weed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Razorblades, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0233.JPG it is the wide blade grass in pics that have no tall stem and the blades appear to be drooping. It seems to like wet or moist ground.

The blades must be pretty tender because the clippings turn to a wet mush most of the time. It is usually dense and always has a lot of moisture in it.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Sounds like crabgrass before it goes to seed.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

looks like crabgrass

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Digitaria ischaemum

sjessen, hort101 and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  5. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

I would agree with the previous posts judging by the blades and seed heads. Crabgrass

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it may be a variety of crabgrass but it's not like normal crabgrass. it's around here too all over the place. it's not tough like crabgrass normally is. just very dense and thick and holds a ton of moisture. turns to paste when you mow it.

7. Razorblades

I researched this and all the descriptions match that....so smooth/small Crabgrass.

Can it be eradicated from lawn without killing other types of grass in lawn?

Thanks for all the replies, I was only recognizing the tall Crabgrass as "crabgrass"

8. Razorblades

Wheeze hit it right on the head; easy to cut just very hard to keep from packing under mower deck.

Wheeze, does it stick to bottom of both your Scag and John Deere mower decks?

9. Razorblades

Sorry Weeze, d@m Smart phone corrected your forum name and I didn't catch it in time

weeze likes this.
  10. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe Dishboy called it ;)
    Digitaria ischaemum (short or smooth crabgrass)
    -Short, or smooth, crabgrass is native to Europe and Asia but has taken quite a liking to North America. It will grow to just 6 inches in height and has smooth, broad, hairless stems.
    -Long crabgrass, which may also be called large or hairy crabgrass, is native to Europe, Asia and Africa. It spreads quickly by tillering and can achieve 2 feet in height if not mowed.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Crabgrass Varieties: Information On Types Of Crabgrass Weeds https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/types-of-crabgrass-weeds.htm

sjessen, Ridin' Green and hort101 like this.