1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Can Anyone Identify This Sprinkler

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, May 24, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Found this today during a backhoe dig to replace two 4" tees that were leaking at one of our sites. I suspect it's Toro based on the inlet of the sprinkler looking a lot like a 640.

Unknown Toro Sprinkler IV-01.jpg

2. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Yep , that is one of dem dere sprinklers.:nono:

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I can't help ya !!!! I have no idea:confused:

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Toro POS maybe?

5. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a 650/670 series to me....650 being part circle....670 being full...those drives shared that body style. I think you wacked off the top of the head though :)

Valve in head or checkomatic?

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Looks like a 1" inlet. Thats not a valve in head. 6 series for sure. Ive got a few of those i dug up on a jobsite one time.

7. PurpHaze

I'm with Koster and Tony after looking at the Toro website. It has to be a 650/670/690 sprinkler based on the flaring from the inlet to the body and that it's only a partial. We've never used these in our district so I'm assuming it was buried by the original irrigation contractor on this site some 15 years ago. :)

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I'm late reading as usual these days, but yes toro, golf type head. My memory for numbers is bad, but I thought there was a pre 670 in that design. Looks like some of the Toro golf stuff I fell not in love with back in the early 80's. Plastic was cheaper so we ended up with a bunch of them. Never came close to the reliablitily of the Buckner brass gear. I would have traded them all for a bird in a can instead, but those old buckner gears where the best...........1360's or a number real close to that on the buckner. The Toro might have still been a 600 number, but they made some major improvements.

9. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey bic...ever remove a check valve from a 600 series valve in head with the water on? I did that ONCE back in the early 80's....never did that again.

10. PurpHaze

THAT I would have liked to have seen. :laugh:

Reminds me of the time a do-gooder was doing some work on a varsity baseball field. He was trying to unscrew a 1-1/2" QCV from its swing joint with the water on. Knucklehead. :dizzy: