Can anyone tell me what this might be please ?

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
Looks like early grub damage.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Bronze Member
Could be dollar spot since it's mainly in the open areas of the lawn.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Has it been hot and humid? Warm humid nights? Of course.
I suspect dollarspot.
Do you know what kind of grass is in the lawn? Where was seed purchased?

I suggest--water two times per week and more deeply--about a half-inch each time. This to reduce the overall humidity. Water after sun-up and not after 3 pm. This reduces fungus infection and spread.
It should recover a few weeks after temperatures fall below 85, (if rain is not too often).
Fungicide, if it does not improve.
A more permanent cure would probably result from an overseeding with a more disease-resistant grass variety.
For instance "Zoom" perennial rye claims dollarspot resistance. Also Tetradark from DLF. Most ordinary reygrass varieties do not claim dollarspot resistance. Therefore assume they are susceptible. The older--cheaper types of bluegrass and fine fescue are also sensitive to dollarspot.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chuckduck

LawnSite Senior Member
Has it been hot and humid? Warm humid nights? Of course.
I suspect dollarspot.
Do you know what kind of grass is in the lawn? Where was seed purchased?

I suggest--water two times per week and more deeply--about a half-inch each time. This to reduce the overall humidity. Water after sun-up and not after 3 pm. This reduces fungus infection and spread.
It should recover a few weeks after temperatures fall below 85, (if rain is not too often).
Fungicide, if it does not improve.
A more permanent cure would probably result from an overseeding with a more disease-resistant grass variety.
For instance "Zoom" perennial rye claims dollarspot resistance. Also Tetradark from DLF. Most ordinary reygrass varieties do not claim dollarspot resistance. Therefore assume they are susceptible. The older--cheaper types of bluegrass and fine fescue are also sensitive to dollarspot.

it has been humid. the lawn has been in now for 11 years so this just started the last 2 years and the reason I know that is I live across the street from them so I've just seen it the last 2 years. I do have a fungicide do you think I should spray it now or wait ?
Thanks

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
You need a positive diagnosis. University lab , extension office, local hort supply dealer, or a small experienced lawn care company.
If it is dollarspot--yes spray now. Stop the spread. Cooler dryer weather will allow it to recover. Hopefully, starting August 15th.