Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,329 Posts
Kinda looks like sedge, can you take a picture further back? Is it taller, faster growing than the rest?

Reactions: Cam15

·
Super Moderator
18,795 Posts
Would you mind shoving a pencil or ruler into the ground in your picture to help judge the actual size.
Is this Dalton Georgia?
Can we see some roots--are there any signs of rhizomes? Stolens?
Seed heads? Clumpy or spreading type grass?
In sun or shade?
Has it been surviving the winters?
Does it turn brown in winter?

·
Registered
18,329 Posts
Would you mind shoving a pencil or ruler into the ground in your picture to help judge the actual size.
Is this Dalton Georgia?
In sun or shade?
You ask way too many questions......this is a guessing game......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this Dalton Georgia?
In sun or shade?
Here are some pictures for you. Yes it’s in Dalton GA. It is in both the sun and shade. I think it’s spreading grass but not sure. Yes it has been surviving the winters. I don’t recall it turning brown in the winter. Thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this Dalton Georgia?
In sun or shade?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The more I look at that, the more it looks like Bermuda. But in Dalton, it would likely go dormant in the winter.

Still say Bentgrass is a good possibility if it does well in the shade and doesn't go dormant.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes it gets cold here. I’m not sure if it gets brown like Zoysia does. I’m sorry I don’t remember. If it is zoysia will it strangle out weeds and spread throughout the field? I know it will take time.
I lived in Chattanooga for most of my life. We had one property with Zoysia and it was decent in keeping the weeds at bay. But it wasn't an end-all. Zoysia spreads VERY slowly in that area from my experience. A lot depends on the soil content, water, and fertilizer.

I'm still not convinced that it is Zoysia though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am not 100 percent sure it's zoysia. Just what it looks like to me. If it has stolons it's zoysia or bent grass. If it doesn't it might be a fine bladed fescue.

I would look for stolons and if you find one pluck it. You can Google and look to compare it. Also does it have a seed head? That the easiest way to identity grass to me.

If you find out, report back

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not 100 percent sure it's zoysia. Just what it looks like to me. If it has stolons it's zoysia or bent grass. If it doesn't it might be a fine bladed fesque.

I would look for stolons and if you find one pluck it. You can Google and look to compare it. Also does it have a seed head? That the easiest way to identity grass to me.

If you find out, report back
Ok thank you for the info. It doesn’t have seed head.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts