• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Can anyone verify that Gatorline .130 will fit a Speedfeed 450 spool?

Durbel

LawnSite Member
I read a review that that flat-to-flat is .130, but the point-to-point is greater than .130 so the line won't feed through the holes. Or can anyone give any line recommendations for a line that is super-durable. The finished product doesn't even need to look great - it's just a rocky hillside full of thick, grassy weeds. Thanks in advance.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Google is your friend. It says right on Echo's site what lines will work. 130" should be .130" no matter the brand or style. Echo does not differentiate between styles. Just that .130" will work, so it should as the size of the eyelet is what matters. If you aren't certain, take a small piece of the .130" you are worried about to a dealer and see if you can insert it through the eyelet easily enough..

Here ya go :) .

.105" Gator Magnum Super Twist (the grey stuff) should do just fine for that type of use. I have used their .105" Platinum ST, but IME with it, it is closer to .095" in size and in durability. Not sure why that is, but I had an entire large spool of it and the whole thing was like that.

Last edited:
OP
D

Durbel

LawnSite Member
Google is your friend. It says right on Echo's site what lines will work. 130" should be .130" no matter the brand or style. Echo does not differentiate between styles. Just that .130" will work, so it should as the size of the eyelet is what matters. If you aren't certain, take a small piece of the .130" you are worried about to a dealer and see if you can insert it through the eyelet easily enough..

Here ya go :) .

.105" Gator Magnum Super Twist (the grey stuff) should do just fine for that type of use. I have used their .105" Platinum ST, but IME with it, it is closer to .095" in size and in durability. Not sure why that is, but I had an entire large spool of it and the whole thing was like that.
Yeah, I totally understand that it *should* work, but when I ran across an Amazon post I started second-guessing everything before I ordered the line and 450 head. I just didn’t want to order something and then be disappointed.

This is the quote from Amazon:

“My trimmer head is rated for a maximum line diameter of .130 but this line is too thick to be inserted and I'll tell you why. This line being square is in fact .130 side to side but if you measure the line from tip to tip it measures .167 . So if you are attempting to fit this in a round channel that has a max diameter of .130 this will not work. So keep this in mind before you buy this diameter line. Verify your trimmers capabilities. With that being said, This review does not attest to this lines performance. I couldn't use it to find out.”

That quote is what made me start wondering if this was true across the board or if this person possibly had a 400 head or .095 equivalent instead of a 450 or .130 equivalent.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, I understood that, but I take most of what I read on amazon etc very lightly and usually posted by HO's with less than average understanding of any of this. Like I said, take a piece of the line you wish to use and see if it fits the eyelets. I'd be surprised if it didn't.