1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Can flyers be stapled?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Feb 26, 2007.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most flyers I get have a piece of tape holding them together. Will the post office accept flyers that have staples holding them together? I usually use tape, but since I have an electric stapler, it would go much quicker. With all the talk about the price of stamps going up, I thought I better get this round of flyers out.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

i have rec'd them with staples before

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about "wafer sealing" on tri-fold brochures? These are the circle-shaped pieces, sticky on one side, perhaps one inch in diameter that are put across the edges?

Are you using bulk mailing?

Before you fire up your stapler, I suggest having a talk with your local postmaster. At one time, staples were forbidden on such mailings. That rule may have applied to first class only, I'm not sure.

I certainly recall many years ago having to use wafers to do the sealing because staples were a no-no -- the staples did not work in the mechanized sorting machines.

Check with the postmaster.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

In the past I have always used small stickers. What I usually do is take address lables and cut them down to small squares. I better just stick to this. Since they are larger than 4" x 6", they require first class postage. I am not doing a mass mailing, only 150. It cost about $60 in postage, so I better stick to the decals vs. staples. I would have for all of them to come back.

5. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I too use small stickers. I started out cutting down labels then I found you can buy them at walmart 500 for about $3 and no cutting. Last week I had a brain fart sent out 96 to this one sub division all came back wrong address uggg. Live and learn.