• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

can i deduct a refrigerator? how well do i need to organize my deductions?

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
so i paid $1500 for a refrigerator can i deduct this for my lawn business? i do actually use it for my lawn business. water and lots of ice in the summer. can i deduct all of it?

how well do i need to separate my deductions? i generally buy everything off a credit card that breaks it down into about 5 categories.

Doug1966

LawnSite Member
Do you also use it for personal use? Then, no, you can't deduct all of it.

Is it a fridge in your shop that is used purely for business and not personal? Then yes, you can deduct it.

If this is your only fridge.......what are you going to tell the IRS auditor when they ask you whether you purchased this fridge for business purposes and had it not been for the business you wouldn't have needed to buy that fridge?

OP
grass disaster

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
Do you also use it for personal use? Then, no, you can't deduct all of it.

Is it a fridge in your shop that is used purely for business and not personal? Then yes, you can deduct it.

If this is your only fridge.......what are you going to tell the IRS auditor when they ask you whether you purchased this fridge for business purposes and had it not been for the business you wouldn't have needed to buy that fridge?
it is my home frig too.

i do use the ice maker in the summer. and it holds my gatorade too.

so safe to take 1/2? 3/4?

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
If it's in your home then NO, unless your home is zoned commerical,

where they will get you is at rendition tax.

you do pay your rendition tax,,,, DONT YOU ?

Fvstringpicker

LawnSite Fanatic
Has nothing to do with federal tax. Its typically a state property tax. Trying to deduct your home frig is going to be problematic at best. But I can practice in U.S. Tax Court so let me know. I'll cut you a break on my fee.

Last edited: