1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Can I get in trouble for spraying this???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawnshark, Jul 31, 2001.

  1. Lawnshark

    Lawnshark LawnSite Member
    Messages: 70

    I was told that I can spray Ornamec and not have a liscence. Is this true? It is a weed killer and you can spray it in the beds and not kill the flowers and the shrubs. This would save us SOOOO much time when we mulch and we can charge a monthly service for upkeep. I would rather do the right thing than take a chance of loosing credibility.
  2. crs

    crs LawnSite Member
    Messages: 121

    I don't know about TN but in NC you MUST have a liscence to apply any chemical to someone elses property. Don't risk it. Do the proffesional thing and get your applicators liscence.
  3. AztlanLC

    AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,051

    The same here in NY, even if it's a Fertilizer or Chemical that you purchased off the shelf in Home Depot or any other store, you gotta have a license to apply it
    unless is your own property where you're using it.

    Don't know the rules about your state but in my training course they told us it was an EPA regulation, so I think is nationwide.

    Best Luck.
  4. sparechange

    sparechange LawnSite Member
    Messages: 33

    i'm in spring hill also. i checked with the state and they require a license for application of any chemical to a lawn other than your own. $150 to test, $200 for a charter and 1/2 mill in insurance. they also have some education requirements. check the tn dept of agriculture homepage. it lists all of the requirements.
  5. jnjnlc

    jnjnlc LawnSite Member
    Messages: 231

    Ditto to what crs said. You got to have the license in NC. I will be willing to bet that if you need a license in TN to spray chemicals you will need it for orna-mec. It is a chemical. Follow sparechange advice. Go get that license. It is worth it.
  6. accentlc

    accentlc LawnSite Member
    from Utah
    Messages: 22

    In Utah, and I assume most other states, if the material has an EPA registration # on it, you must have a license to us it commercially.
  7. MJB

    MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa
    Messages: 2,869

    It is illegal in most states. Regarding Ornamec This will not kill any broadleafs , it will only kill certain unwanted grass in and around ornamental plants. Personally I was not very impressed with it. Timing is very critical. But you still will end up pulling the weeds.
  8. peteloare

    peteloare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 59

    Here in Michigan, if you purchase in a ready to spray (cost a lot more) you may not nee to be licensed.
  9. John DiMartino

    John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,555

    Straight fertilzer does not require a pesticide license to apply in NY,as of 9/00,when I last recertified.Only fertilizer/combo's do.
  10. Allyn

    Allyn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 58

    I had a UT licence. It is required to have a licence to apply chemicals on anyone lawn but your own.

    I don't know about here in Vegas. Still learning thing, I am sure it is the same.

    Remember though if you get a licence to apply chemicals. You need to let you insurance company know. Otherwise if you get in trouble even if you are licenced, and they don't know it. They won't cover any claims. Your rates will go up.


Share This Page