can I prune entire side of pine tree to the trunk?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by roody2333, May 19, 2018.

1. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nj

guy has a 30' pine at edge of driveway. It sheds needles he said he's tired of cleaning them even though he can just blow/broom them to the base of the tree like 10 feet away max and the area where they'd be blown/broomed to isn't manicured or anything where the needles would stick out, it's basically just a bunch of small sticks and stuff under a full row of other non-pine trees which don't shed. But needles falling on his benz I guess wants to cut the whole tree down, but would it survive if I just cut the entire half of the tree which overhangs the driveway?
    If it matters, the side that would be cut back all branches to the trunk so they heal over is facing East.

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen it done by power lines when every limb that is on the power line side of the tree is cut. I would personally just have it taken down. But I don't think that will kill it. It will look crazy though.

sjessen likes this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

If he can afford a Benz to worry about he can afford a tree service and to plant something that doesn't shed on his fine overengineered German automobile:)payup

theltz81 and Mark Stark like this.
  4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Sure it can be done but would you really want to attach your name to it?

JLSLLC, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Especially if or when it tips over or snaps oof:eek::clapping:

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    RussellB likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze Banned

just cut the whole tree down.

kawasaki guy and sjessen like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    roody2333

from nj

hmm, I just don't want to cut a 30 foot tree for someone too lazy to spend literally 5 minutes with a broom a few times a year (or 5 seconds with a leaf blower). Plus it'll look like a broken tree line unless the root system is removed and something else planted (not quick and easy to remove roots unless rip out with a truck which I'm not risking my transmission or anything for).

hort101 likes this.
  8. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

I bet when he sees what a tree service will charge to take it down and grind up the stumppayuppayuppayuppayup

He'll gladly pay you to clean up or learn to park in a different spot:)

9. OP
    OP
    roody2333

from nj

even if the stump's grinded, can't plant a new shed-less tree until roots are removed.
    He's already now got a 4 foot diameter stump in the center of his front lawn dead tree I removed, he doesn't plant to grind/remove roots unless I told him he sees someone nearby grinding stumps maybe they'll cut him a deal while in the area. It's somewhat hidden by hedges. He might make a mound of dirt and plant grass/vinca minor.

On second thought, if I do just chop this whole tree down, the tree row will fill in the void. I just didn't want to 'chop a tree down' for no good reason.

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to say without pics................