can I prune entire side of pine tree to the trunk?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by roody2333, May 19, 2018.

1. weeze

weeze Banned

trees suck for lawns. it's just a fact of life. if you want grass you gotta remove the trees. shade and grass don't mix very well and also the trees suck up all the water and nutrients out of the soil leaving very little for the grass.

just leave the stump. he can take care of that later or it will eventually rot away with time.

2. Overwatch

Overwatch LawnSite Member

Would it survive? Probably. Would it be a hack job? Probably. Should the tree just be removed instead? Probably.

If it was me, I'd probably just leave it be.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nj

I don't think it'll ever rot away lol. roots underground can be literally submerged in an underwater stream but the absence of oxygen won't make it rot. I've pulled roots out that were practically in underground streams and the trees were cut 10 years ago and the roots were like fresh wood.

There's stuff you can drill holes and pour into but still takes a long time. can slow burn it too but I aint doin that. I'm not even getting involved with that stump.
    If he puts 5" soil over and grows grass a) TTTF can root much deeper than that and thus be more drought resistant but even if it's watered to sustain, the tree root slowly decomposing will steal nitrogen from the grass and it often yellows or just dies. And often mushroom appear over stumps. Something like vinca minor I'm guessing will do better, stuff is pretty bullet proof.

4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

5. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

You said you don't want to cut it down for no good reason. He seems to have a good reason except he doesn't want to pay for services unless he gets a deal. I'd forget about him

6. weeze

weeze Banned

soon as you cut it spray gly on the stump.

some people make a flower bed and have the stump in the middle of it. eventually the stump rots away after several years.

7. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

Fell the tree. Haul it away. Grind the stump into nothing then throw dirt over it. We have trees that's been cut like that here for when power lines and they look sooooo weird. Haha

weeze likes this.