can I sod in partial shade?

dsolutionsinc

LawnSite Member
I'd like to put in sod and the local farms have KBG or Fescue. What variety would be best or should I just get a decent sun shade blend and seed it?

The lawn is mostly full sun with a few areas that are 4 hours of shade from some small trees. I'd say 80% of the lawn 4000 sq ft lawn is full sun. None of the areas are dense shade.

Any help is appreciated.

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
First congrats on actually describing the shade. Most people would just say it is shady and wouldn't give us a time frame for the amount of sun/shade, or weather it is filtered through trees or dense shade chased by buildings. The rule of thumb I go by best on the amount of shade is weather you still cast a shadow or not in the area. Usually you can still see a slight shadow when you move in the area if it is filtered sunlight through trees. If it is only 4 hrs of shade during the day and it isn't dense shade then a KBG should be fine. Sod farms in your area don't offer a 70/30 mix or anything similar? Most up here do.

OP
D

dsolutionsinc

LawnSite Member
Seems during this time of year most farms only offer 100% KBG. I found one farm that had a fescue mix as below, would that do better?

30% Faith Turf Type Tall Fescue
30% Tar Heel II Turf Type Tall Fescue
30% Wolfpack II Turf Type Tall Fescue
10% Tuckahoe Turf Bluegrass Blend

GreenI.A.

LawnSite Silver Member
Tall Fescue is good for low maintenance areas, especially those where there is no irrigation and a higher likelihood of drought conditions. Tall Fescue can usually handle these conditions pretty good. It isn't particularly a shade mix but will handle what you describe about your yard. For a shade blend it would be better if you could find a mix with a creeping red fescue, that is a seed that does particularly well in shade and is predominantly used in shade mixes. It's hard to be certain without actually seeing the area, but from what you described above, KBG should be fine.

Do you have irrigation, or can you realistically water until it takes root and gets established? Once established can you ensure it get 1" of water a week? If not I would go with the tall fescue blend.