Can I...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by richter24, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. richter24

    richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 27

    At the moment, I have my business name, filed for certificate of assumed business name, created my logo, and have the necessary accounting software. At this point I have set-up meetings with my lawyer, and accountant at a future date to determine wheather I will be Incorporated, LLC, or so on.
    Question is, Can I begin my business right now. Advertising, setting up accounts, actual work, print shirts, etc...?

    Thanks in advance..
  2. jbannick18

    jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 490

    Yes as long as your DBA, doing business as, basically your running at a sole prop
  3. richter24

    richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 27

    right on!!
  4. LushGreenLawn

    LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,120

    I notice that you did not mention getting a business license. I would do this first. You can get your business ready without the business license, but you will need it before you can service a propert where you are going to be paid.
  5. richter24

    richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 27

    Where would I go about obtaining a business license??
  6. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    One of the first things your going to want to look into before starting is some liability insurance to help protect you and your investment in case something was to go wrong while mowing.
  7. richter24

    richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 27

    Once I establish if I am going LLc, Inc, etc..Then I plan on getting insurance.

    Off hand do you know, once I do get insurance, does it have to be paid up front? I know when I bought my house, I paid yearly. Just curious if it is the same? In which case I will go through my insurance agent.
  8. Stillwater

    Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,889

    ask the insurence agent
  9. Herrick

    Herrick LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 506

    From my understanding, some states don't require a business license, just the DBA.
  10. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    state license is needed, local license, if your state requires a vendors license to collect sales tax, many do some dont....liability insurance commercial tags for trailor and vehicle...... if you get employees, workers comp insurance, mathing soc sec.....

Share This Page