1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Can it be done Part Time.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tony_RHServices, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Tony_RHServices

Tony_RHServices LawnSite Member

I’m new to this and any input would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have a small Part Time home remolding business that is taking to much of my free time plus some customer shy away from a P/T because they don’t want to wait and it has been tough to get side work because of the commitment needed. I was thinking of starting a landscaping division. I understand that I would my customer base would need to be small. Can this be done part time and be done profitable?

2. jrdean62

jrdean62 LawnSite Member

I do landscape INSTALLS on the side and make good money. I would not try the lawn maint. side of the business due to the fact lawns need to be cut on a regular basis. With installs you can plan around your schedule. It may mean no weekends and long days but I make it work.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im part time, I take in good money but this year its all going towards equiptment. If you have enough equi[ptment then yes you can be profitable. The biggest problem IM facing is high GAS prices, I can only do 3 to 4 yards an afternoon and have to drive 25 miles round trip, if I were full time I coluse do 8 to 12 yards using the same amount of gas in the truck.

4. mobileboy

mobileboy LawnSite Member

You can make it work within reason. How much do you want to make? I do installs and re-landscapes on the side and make some extra cash. Just about to buy a used Hustler mini z from a guy in Florida to speed up the few yards that I cut (i make a little extra doing that too). I work 45 hours a week at my regular job and with a 2 year old it can be tough finding time to get it all in. Careful planning of time and a strong back will equal some extra money if you're serious.

5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

ditto for me.what he said.

6. brentcausey

brentcausey LawnSite Member

I work FT 8-4:30 everyday and keep up with 20 yards. Yeah, you might work til dark some evenings and all day on a Saturday but it's worth it when those checks come!

7. railman

railman LawnSite Member

yes it is worth it when those checks come in. nice to always have money.

8. railman

railman LawnSite Member

and yes it can be done part time. I have a full time job and 29 accounts which most of the time I cut by myself and I have my 15 year old son that helps me when I get backed up cause of the weather.

9. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

I work full time 7-4 m-f and maintain 15 lawn accounts in the evenings and weekends. I have done 4 good sized mulch jobs this year too. My brother in law has a full time lawn and landscape business but did it part time for many years before going full time.

10. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have a full time job m-f. I do about 30 yards weekdays and weekends. Very profitable for me, but do expect to work long hard hours, not for everyone.