Can someone identify the stone used in this wall? Pics...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CT John, May 18, 2004.

  1. CT John

    CT John LawnSite Member
    Messages: 90

    I am planning on installing a small wall in my yard and I would really like to stay away from the painfully common concrete block walls. It will vary in height due to the gradual slope of the ground but be level along the top of the wall. No more then, say, 24-30 inches at its highest point and roughly 35 feet long, it will surround a planting bed on the side of my garage.

    I would like to use some sort of natural stone and came across a nice wall on the other side of my town that I would like to copy. Can anyone with experience in this area tell me what kind of stone was used in the wall in the pics below? Any ideas as far as prices? Is this type of wall dry-stacked? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

  2. jlewis

    jlewis LawnSite Member
    Messages: 140

    It is hard to tell you exactly what it is. Around here (Northern MD)it is called stacking stone. Gray, brown, tan and silver is the color. That wall appears to be mortered - based on height and design. You could get by stacking them dry. I would be leary of going over 24" dry though. It runs about 125 - 145 a ton, 20 sq ft / ton.

    I am actually going to do a 12" tall garden wall w/ 4" veneer stone. They are about the size of a brick or longer.

  3. CT John

    CT John LawnSite Member
    Messages: 90

    I appreciate the reply Joe. Thanks for the info.
  4. all degree

    all degree LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 344

    Its called field stone. Most landscape supply stores sell it for about $100 a pallet
  5. CT John

    CT John LawnSite Member
    Messages: 90

    Thanks a lot. I'll check around.

Share This Page