1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Can you guys help me decide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Dec 9, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here is my situation. I was solo this summer and had around 50-60 accts throughout the year, most of which are 1/4 acre but I do have a couple commercial accounts that are a little bigger and a few 1/2-3/4 acre lots as well. This coming summer I will be hiring an employee and servicing around 120-130 accts as well as a larger commercial account.

My main mower until now has been a 32" belt drive exmark which I will be keeping for the majority of my gated backyards. I really want to buy a 36" stander but I am not sure if it will cover enough ground compared to buying a couple of larger walk behinds. I dont think buying a large WB to make a handful of accounts easier makes sense either. Most all yards I will take in the coming years (I think, but who knows right?) will be 1/4-1/2 acre.

My budget is around $5k on a mower(s), does it make sense to buy a quick 36 and maybe a used larger wb? I would rather stay with new equipment as I dont have a lot of experience working on these things yet. Anyway I hope I gave enough info and thanks for any advice.

Adam
    Beyond The Green

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Do you already have 120 - 130 accounts, or are you hoping to add this many. If you are keeping the 32" walk behind, I would suggest going with a 48" stander to cover more area.

3. cochino12

Not quite there yet with the accounts but getting close.

4. chimmygew

I say go with the 48", I only run ZTR's, but I read a lot of posts on here where some of the members have a small WB like your 32" and the bigger 48" and it seems like they do quite well with time and money. Something to consider. You might also consider a small 48" ZTR mower if the price is comparable.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

get a 52" Wright Stander. you will double your productivity from the 32" wb.

6. cochino12

isnt a 48" or 52" too big for a small 1/4 front yard?

7. chimmygew

I don't think it would be. I never have any complaints using my 61" Scag on small properties like that. Remember, faster means more per hour. I say the earlier post of 52" is also a good idea.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

we use 52" Standers on trailer park lawns and 1/4 to 1/8 acre lawns. that's all we run besides a 60" exmark XS for the bigger areas. there are probably 5 lawns out of about 300 that we have to use a 21" mower on because we can't get to areas or there are small hills that the stander can't cut. the 52" Stander can go just about anywhere. i would highly recommend getting a demo.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what brands do your local dealers sell & service?

What are the lot configurations? lots of obstacles? flat out but small? lots of factors here that would aid in the deciscion process.

I would look at a 48/52" ZTR if they're flatout but small, if there is lots of tight areas, or trees to trim along i would look at a 44/48" WB. you already have a small mower, you might as well get a larger one to take advantage of your time on the larger accounts.

get a hydro, they're more up front, but the productivity is much better in tight areas.

10. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i have 2 60" turf tracers and a 36" metro for about 80 redsidental yards and a hand full of medium commercial (2 emloyees)
    I love the 60's but kinda wish i had a 48.
    Like a few others said a 52 would be a great mower to get.
    Make sure its a hydro though.
    A friend of mine had some standers in his business but he got rid of them after one year. I have no expirence with them, he said they were a little sketchy on the steep hills.