• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Can you identify this critter?

mook

LawnSite Member
I started noticing these mounds of dirt about a year ago. The grass around them usually dies. Since then my lawn has thinned out considerably.

It would seem likely that these are just earthworm castings, except that's usually a good thing to have. In my case they're destructive. When I try to push the mound away to look for a hole -- if there is one -- it always gets covered up or filled-in.

It's odd that I didn't have this problem in the first two years after installing the lawn. I live in Southern California where it's difficult to keep a lawn going. Any ideas?

IMG_5404.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5405 (cropped).JPG

tryingtomakeit

LawnSite Member
It looks like some sort of insect did it. Maybe you could spread something that kills grubs and fertilizes at the same time? I don't know how regulated CA is on stuff like that though...

OP
M

mook

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure its not crawfish. That would be very bizarre here.

Let me rephrase my question then:

Does anyone have any suggestions (websites, another forum, etc.) about where I could find out the answer to this. I'm sure no landscaper is willing to come to my house just to look at this.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
earthworm castings. The "organic" folks think it's more valuable than gold.