• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Can You Identify This Grass and / or Weed?

YardsbyDFrance

LawnSite Member
So for the last two summers, my fescue has been taking over by this grass and or weed in the summer months that I can't seem to identify. This problem seems to only happen in the front yard. As you can see here in NC the fescue is coming back after I seeded once the second week of September and then again in the second week of October where some of the seed had washed / moved around. Can anyone help identify what this grass / weed is? It appears to be going dormant. I really am only familiar with cool season type grasses (tall fescue and rye is my areas preferred grass types).
IMG_7880.jpgIMG_7881.jpgIMG_7882.jpg

Blake landscape

LawnSite Member
So for the last two summers, my fescue has been taking over by this grass and or weed in the summer months that I can't seem to identify. This problem seems to only happen in the front yard. As you can see here in NC the fescue is coming back after I seeded once the second week of September and then again in the second week of October where some of the seed had washed / moved around. Can anyone help identify what this grass / weed is? It appears to be going dormant. I really am only familiar with cool season type grasses (tall fescue and rye is my areas preferred grass types).
View attachment 412354View attachment 412355View attachment 412356
It’s either Bermuda grass or Nimblewill weed.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Try your State's extension office for an ID.

Overall, your turf sure looks more like Bermuda than fescue.
Due to the amount of shade under the tree in the 1st pic, it appears that the Bermuda is inherently unable to thrive there...and the fescue can flourish.