can you make 1/4'' adjustments on deck height?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ready to Mow, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Gold Member

My gravely compact pro has 1/2'' deck height adjustments and 1/2'' is too big of an adjustment to make at once. Is there a simple way to make it only adjust 1/4'' instead of 1/2''? I suppose I could adjust the chains but that's kind of too permanent.

2. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

That's odd...my prostance has 1\4 inch height adjustments, I'm kind of surprised a compact pro would not. Not much your gonna be able to do about that though.
    I used to run Dixie choppers that only had 1\2 increments and never missed it but I think I would miss it now that I'm using exmarks that do.

RDALawns likes this.
  3. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Depending on how your height adjustment is setup.... I know how Scag is setup, it has the 1/4 increments. But Scag has a pin that you stick in a hole..

You could do some "hands on research" on your mower because if you put a sleave or a spacer on the pin as you're sliding it in, then when you release the lever and it all rests against the pin with a spacer on it then that means that the deck has been dropped a little less than it would have if it had not had the spacer.. In theory it's possible, anything is possible but you'd have to figure out how big the spacer needs to be.

hort101 likes this.
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I make 1/8 " deck adjustments , would not have it any other way. Every system has a trade off.

5. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you post a picture? How do you do that. Of course i use washers on my Exmark walkbehinds to get 1/8 increment, and my fw35s just naturally have that. But i can't stand that my rider and stander are 1/4.

6. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Just doesn't really bother me,
    When I was limited to a scag 36 belt with a fixed deck I gave a crap but when I grew into a Scag SWZV & then a V-Ride,. both with height adjustment I was just darn happy with what I had. Haha

I usually stay between 4" & 3.25" and that's good enough for me I guess.

knox gsl likes this.
  7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

My
    My mowers have pins on rods-holes for deck height. 1/8" washers, My normal cut heights range from 2"- 2.5/8 " so going up and down slowly- gradually is important to me. Irrigated , fertilized small yards here. 1/8" increments are also beneficial to matching cut heights on 21-30 mowers which have limited adjustability.

Blainethompson likes this.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

How are you going to get the sleeve on the pin through the hole? Nevermind , I figured out what you are meaning.

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

What customer or for that mower jockey can walk out to a fresh cut lawn and say that they can see the difference between 3.875" and 4" I know I can't. When I was mowing my 36 was set at 3.5" every property. My 61" was 3" weed pits, 3.5" nice lawns and 4" for extremely lush lawns. Customers for the most part just want it cut, get there and get it done.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Big difference when cutting at short cut heights. Above3" not so much. 1/4" at short heights can be the difference between brown and green or looking tight or sloppy. Having 1/8 adjustments let you gradually move up or down as seasonal temp and fert/growth happens. Regional differences , cut at 4" here on northern small fertilized/irrigated turf and you will get hammered to lower mower or be fired. Tennessee and Seattle have different requirements. FWIW , I can see the difference between 2.5 and 2 5/8 ......

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Blainethompson likes this.