1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

can you REALLY make money doing xmas decorations?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 27, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

while doing my business today, i saw a landscaper working on putting up xmas decorations for his customer. he was already there the first time i drove by. and he was still there the last time i drove by (3 hours later), there were 3 men working. considering they were already there, and then still there, i'd say it had to be a minimum of 4 hrs today. even at the rock bottom price of $40 per man hour, that's $480 just to set them up. i'd imagine taking them down would take even longer (freezing, ice on roof, etc). so am i to understand the client would pay $1000 + to have xmas deco put up, and taken down? the lawn service on a property like this is maximum $800 FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON OF MOWING. is there REALLY any money in this?

2. sanfordandsonfan

sanfordandsonfan LawnSite Member

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I was putting my own decorations up. It is crappy work and always cold / windy. Like my name says, I am a fan of the original junkman, and thats what I do in the winter. Hauling junk for realestate companies and my clients. Everyone has a garage full of crap they want removed.

3. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I had one of my mowing clients ask me if I could put up some x-mass lights up on the shrubs and in their beds in the front of the house. I have not advertised this service, so I had never thought about what to charge. I looked at it and told them that I could do it for 150.00 That only included putting them up and they already had the lights. It took me 2 hours and wasn't very difficult. Didn't even use a ladder. I thought that it was good money considering the only expirence that I have doing this is at my own house. I told them that I would come back the 2nd week of the new year and take them down for another 100.00 bucks. They said ok. Might consider advertising this service next year if I can do some research into the whole thing. Not sure about ins. though. I don't think that I would be covered if I fell off of someones roof while putting the lights up. Much less and employee.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only thing that worries me is the possible liability involved

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose there is some money in it, but not for me. I want to stay on terra firma.

I look at it like this. I could be climbing up and down some ladder and slip and fall. Say I only sprain my right ankle which I need to operate my $200+ per hour snow plow truck. BUT, now I can't. Oh sure, I could sprain my ankle slipping on my front stairs, but the chance of that vs. going up and down a ladder stringing lights and decorations is a lot less IMO.

See where I am going with this?

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Just committed to a decorating franchise for next season. All numbers, market analysis, etc point to 1000-1500 per install includes install, 2 service calls, and take down. Approximate 50% GP. Sure beats plowing snow at 3 AM Especially since I've never heard of a plow truck for $200/hr. Loaders with 5 yd buckets don't even get that around here.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

explain more about the decorating franchise, because I am curious. The length of contract, up front costs, etc.

8. rodfather

Actually, I know of people who make more cause they have tighter routes, just like as in mowing. I've never heard of a decorating franchise as well. How much $$$ up front I wonder???

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How do you arrive at $200/hr?????.

10. rodfather

It's called division.

I divide the amount of money each truck grosses in a snow event by the number of hours it operates. We average $200 - $225 an hour. Period And that INCLUDES travel time from job to job.