1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Can you shave your face with blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brieldo, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Guys with Commercial sharpeners, RBG, Magna-Matic, etc...

Let's see some pictures of your sharpened blades. It may seem silly, but i"d like to see how sharp you can get them!

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This post should end up with some great pictures.

Gravely_Man

3. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

What professional is avaliable to sharpen blades?

4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Pics are a bit fuzzy guess digital camera doesn't like the cold temperature in the shop.
    BobR

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ummm, blades are not supposed to be razor sharp. If they are, they nick really easy.

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

NO, unless you want to have a cut up face like chuckie. I would say most blades are not going to be that sharp.

7. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Thats just what I was thinking Ken H . If you want to ruin a set of blades in a hurry, make em razor sharp. The first pebble, rock, stick, or nut they hit and they will have a DEEP nick in their blade that will be there for a long time. Youve gotta grind alot off these things to eliminate nicks.

8. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Don't use these to shave but they cut grass & paper.
    I change blades daily and resharpen them before they are used again, I try to keep the edge at a 35° angle which is just into the "durable"area of my handy dandy bevel checker. Keeping the underside of the deck clean and blades sharp allow me the option of mowing a lawn quickly. I tried the "fine" angle at 20° and it worked OK but I prefer the steeper angle of "durable" (you don't have to grind off as much steel to get your edge back).
    BobR

9. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Blades should be as sharp as you can get them and mine are razor sharp.

I heard some one say at the dealer don't sharpen them to much they might get dull faster. Im thinking WHAT?

10. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

RGB 3410C grinder w/ceramic wheel.

feb14#01.jpg