1. Countdown to live Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can you use a pool pump for a sprinkler pump?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by spray_man, Mar 22, 2007.

1. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

I suspect no. However, I don't know why not. A friend wants me to help him change over his bad sprinkler pump for a new pool pump, one of his friends gave him. What do I tell him?

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If I'm not mistaken, the pool pump will not be able to generate enough pressure to run the sprinkler system. I believe pool pumps rely more on volume than pressure to keep a pools water filtered.

3. spray_man

Thanks newz7151. I think I will connect the new motor to the old pump housing.

4. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

Pool pumps are not very self priming and won't pull water near as far as jet or centrifugal pumps will. The in ground pool pump can make a max pressure of 38 lbs. Hardly enough to run a sprinkler system. The above ground is restricted to around 18 lbs. Because of it's low head small diameter characteristics. Stay with a self primer or jet pump depending on the amount of water you need.

bob...

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

The electrical motors are identical? or identical specs? I guess it is possible, but something tells me it ain't so.............

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just use plenty of duck tape
    [​IMG]

7. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

Boots,

When I first saw that, I thought it was an electric toothbrush.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't always work though. :laugh:

GWHS Gym Main Break 3-14-07 IV-01.jpg

9. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

That is a friggin' hilarious pic.

10. spray_man

Follow-up: The guy had another friend install the darn thing for him. It's working just fine. O well? :confused: