1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you wench out a stump?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by birddseedd, Apr 24, 2015.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Iv gotta do a few stumps near the house. I was first going to try hooking them to the truck and see if i can pull them out. iv done this before when the roots were simply too tough.

Can i put a wench on the front of the truck and that work? what size wench would be suitable. they arnt too expensive from harbor freight.

2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

When it comes to wenches, the bigger the better. The bigger ones can usually cook better.

Also....you could try an engine lift.

3. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya. Keep the wench at home. Don't use the truck it kills the tranny. Try a winch maybe ?

4. 1977212

1977212 LawnSite Senior Member

Put a packing blanket ontop of the chain to prevent it from hitting the truck if it kicks back.

5. grasshogging

grasshogging LawnSite Member

Depending on how big it is, your more than likely wasting your time with a winch especially one from harbor freight, your just asking for disappointment and probally missing up some other stuff. You can rent a small stump grinder for about the same price of you could hire somebody to grind it, you can burn it down, or put stump on it. Most stumps couldn't be pulled up with a D9 dozer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OP
    OP
    birddseedd

A lotof these are too close tof the house to grind up. I was hoping a which would do it so I could keep the tool. A dump grinder costs nearly 200. Tree folks grind for 60th around here. Renting makes it pretty hard to be competitive on this job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Sub it out and add 25% to the customer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Yea buy a WINCH. Spending more money on junk that you don't need. Then cry broke even more.
    What great business sense.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. OP
    OP
    birddseedd

My wife asks why you are such a jerk.

I just want to explain that I have 500 to 700 bucks worth of stumps to do and if a winch will do it, it will be cheaper than renting a stump grinder. but I don't know if it will do it well, so I ask

Apparently asking is too much of a bother for you. Why do you bother. Or do you just like causing trouble?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

What's the rental rate if the stump grinder?

Gotta bring your wife into your posts? Pathetic
    Posted via Mobile Device