1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you wench out a stump?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by birddseedd, Apr 24, 2015.

1. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Best business answer hands down
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you.
    But, knowing Bird. He will most likely buy the cheapest Chinese winch or wench. Then complain about something failing. Or the bumper on the truck came off. Or a root breaks free from the tension and goes thru a window.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. OP
    OP
    birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

ill just rent the stump grinder. im not going to take a chance it wont work and waste money when i know the grinder and my truck can do it.

4. grasshogging

grasshogging LawnSite Member

A winch would work it would just have to be attacked to a semi-tow truck or a D9 dozer. I've seem 12k winches(warn not HF crap) smoked on trucks that were stuck hooked to 12-16 inch diameter oak stumps. Rent the grinder, I don't get the pulling away from the foundation as a positive idea vs grinding it and filling the hole with mulch and dirt. Logically that makes no sense at all but honestly if it was me and money was trying to be saved Id dig around the stumps a few inches and cut them below the ground line, paint some stump killer on them and fill with a mound of dirt. Cheapest solution besides leaving them.

5. OP
    OP
    birddseedd

please enlighten me on the bolded part

6. grasshogging

grasshogging LawnSite Member

Stump killer? It's just a mixture of chemicals with a super dose of fertilizer I'm not positive of the amount but it can be bought at just about anywhere you can get landscaping stuff. Usually hardware stores and possibly big box stores but I personally would go to a actual place that specializes in lanscapeing type stuff they will be able to tell you every step better than me. Do a little reaserch there's lots of ways to kill a stump both enviromently friendly and the other way.

7. OP
    OP
    birddseedd

I tried some stuff like that. drill holes in it. pour in the stuff and water it.

was useless

8. dieselss

from NWI....

Maybe it was just operator error?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. OP
    OP
    birddseedd

sure. if it will shut you up, then i agree

10. dieselss

from NWI....

I actually haven't SAID a word. So technically my mouth HAS been shut...So agree away.
    Posted via Mobile Device