Can't decide between 52" and 48" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by K&L Landscaping, Jan 22, 2020.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Let me preface this post by saying this...it's hard being me! I overthink everything and it's exhausting at times to make a decision.

Now, I can't decide between a 48" V Ride 2 and a 52" V Ride 2. My logical brain tells me to get the 48" because it sits perfectly between my 36" walk behind and my 61" ZTR. However, the 52" comes with an EFI engine which I prefer and the 48" only comes in a carb'd engine. The price difference is only $400 between the two so that isn't a factor.

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

52 if you mulch or cut wet tall grass.

3. OP
    OP
    K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I never mulch and I have my share of wet grass for sure. Seems like it's wet more often than it's dry.

4. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

The only new mower I've bought was a 48" Ferris. It gets the least amount of use in my fleet. It's a tweener size, and my 52" toro cuts better. The 48" doesn't fit in any more gates than the 52" fits through. It's still to big for 48" gates. So it has become a backup or occasional crap yard that I don't want to ding the blades on the 52. Wish every use it was a 52".

5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Can you demo them? Sometimes the difference is way more than just the deck size.

I had a 52 VRide and a 61. Very different feel. The 61 was smoother, tracked straighter, just better all around.

6. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion is you will never outgrown a 48 and you will always have a use for one. But if it where me....I'd get both lol.

7. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

I have had several 48 and 52 velocity+ decks on walks. I never noticed any difference in the cut. I would go with the 52, unless you need to fit in a gate.

8. Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I started with a 52 then went to a 48 and since you have the 61 and 36 I want to tell you to lean towards the 48, but the blades on 36s and 52s are the same.

The 48 can fit in a few more gates than a 52, but it depends on your area and client base

9. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I'm having the EXACT same dilemma trying to decide between these 2. I'm split almost exactly down the middle. It's like it's "48 one way" and "52 the other". (Sorry, I tried my best to talk myself out of that......but I'm weak!!) :rolleyes::nod:

Cam15 likes this.
  10. danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

I also tend to over think decisions, always to be sure I make the right decision. I would go with the 48 seeing you already have a larger and smaller mower. A 48 will not only fit into smaller spaces, it's also a little more nimble and agile than a 52. I used to have a 48" Turf Tracer that couldn't fit through a couple of fence gates. I would loosen the gate retaining nuts and lift the gate off of its pins and set it against the fence until I finished mowing inside. Then I simply slipped the gate back on its pins and re-tightened the nut. I kept a small crescent wrench with me. In one case I could enter the backyard without the deck interfering with the fence, but had to reverse through the gate to get back out. Entering the yard, the deck cleared, went under the gate pin but had to back the mower out of the gate. The left side of the deck was the only side that would clear the gate pin. Maybe this tip will come in handy some time.

K&L Landscaping and Cam15 like this.