Can't find control valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BensLand, Sep 14, 2001.

  1. DanaMac

    DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,209

    Brickman Group - that sounds like the Progressive 521 listed above. Works well. Have one of my own.
  2. Brickman

    Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,249

    Hey Dana read my LS id again.
    I am a small owner op, that wishes he had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ of Brickman Group.

    We are probably related some where. :)
  3. SprinklerGuy

    SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,778

    Depending on the yard...we ususally try two things. First we try "the chatterbox?". Device we use is called a Krik-it and it is the original device created by a local guy here who is smarter than all of us. This device is installed at the timer. When you run the valve in question, the solenoid opens and closes rapidly causing a hum in the valve and mainline. You can almost always find it this way.....very handy. This WILL NOT work if the solenoid is bad

    After that we use the Progressive Electronics 521 Locator. These devices trace the wire in question....

    This device WILL NOT work very well in dry soil....

    In your case if the solenoid is shorting, you will need the locator....go to your distributer and rent one.....warning: They are not easy to use the first 50 times or takes practice. My suggestion would be to call an irrigation tech in your area and ask him to find it! We charge 75 for the first valve and 25 per valve thereafter.....same cost as you would probably rent the machine for! Good Luck!

Share This Page