Can't get the blades off my exmark

Tried for about 2 hours and I cannot get the blades off my exmark lazer. I don't have a socket big enough so I have just been using a wrench. I put a wrench on the top spindle up against the chain to keep the blade from turning. Would it be noticeably easier to buy a socket the right size and use a socket wrench on the bottom? Any other tips? I just got the mower used it's 2002 was sitting for about ten years so that could be the reasoning. I'd hate to take it to my mechanic just for that...
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
2ft breaker bar. A fence post or piece of pipe goes right over for even more leverage. Guys way overtighten blade bolts anyways. A blade that will slip if you hit something solid may save you expensive repairs too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75

LawnSite Silver Member
Or, just go to Harbor Freight tools or someplace similar and get an electric impact wrench and the right socket(s). Not expensive at all.

Sounds like you might need to really soak the bolts with some PB Blaster before trying to take them off.

C & T Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Depending on how well you know your local tire shop, go down there and ask them to do it. I did that when I couldnt get my blades off with a breaker bar, or my own impact gun. I took it down there and they got all three off in less than two minutes, and refused to accept payment. Love those guys.

mpkav

LawnSite Member
I use an impact on both of my Scags. It's a must!! I'm also a fan of Harbor Freight, lifetime warranty on just about everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
Heavy duty long handle socket wrench. Pipe/breaker bar extension. Piece of wood to block. 2 hand grip and some muscle. Pretty much what others said to do. Make sure the mower won't slip and fall on you:waving:

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
If you use an impact wrench it doesn't need to be set on nuclear twist. The design of single bolt blade mounts makes them self tightening. I twisted a lug nut off a truck last week because the tire shop felt 450ft/lbs of torque was needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oldtimer

LawnSite Bronze Member
Cut the head of the bolt off with a side grinder and you can take it out with your fingers. Do not use a torch to loosen a blade bolt.

If you tighten a blade bolt to 80#ft of torque, it make take 280#ft of torque to remove it. Tighten the bolt to 120#ft of torque and it will require 120#ft of torque no matter what you hit.

Blades bolts are to be installed dry unless the owners manual specifically requires a lube like the newer eXmarks which only need 55-60#ft of torque.

Oldtimer

Last edited:

Top Forums