1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

car tires on 6x12 landscapetrailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lazer 46, Aug 15, 2008.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

The search for american made trailer tires has not been a good one. Most all 205 75R 15 trailer tires are chineese junk. My local dealer quoted me $125 for a Cooper trailer tire. All I haul is a 1200 pound Lazer and a 500 pound walk behind. Anybody running car tires on there trailer?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

6 ply trailer tire vs 4 ply hwy tire? 2 less ply's in the sidewall. NO WAY. Friend blew a trailer tire on the freeway last year and put his F350 head on into a concrete barrier.

3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ive been running regular tires on mine for yrs...trailer with the 2 ztr's is around 4500# Never had a problem..........:usflag:

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

It's kind of like insurance. If you can't afford it or have nothing to lose than why not....

5. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

a brand new77"x12ft tilt trailer that had used truck tires"I think. look too big to be from a car but that was a while ago" I never had problems any problems but probably would of need new tires evidently

6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i run the general american 205-60r-15 on my trailer and never had a problem so far... i did have an older trailer that had the carlisle (sp?) tires on them and kept getting flats

7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Goodyear Wrangler HT tires are approved for trailers, they're not cheap though. But, it beats having a Cheng Shin or Carlisle or some other Chinese POS come apart on you on the road.

8. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

put commercial truck tires on them that is what we have on our trailers like what you would run on the back of a 450