Carb Maintenance

Bigg-Lenny

LawnSite Member
4E4CB44E-6D24-4645-BF4E-98F1916F0A24.jpeg
9DEF6433-C1A5-49C3-A0C4-D67E9C3892A9.jpeg
This is the exact reason that I’m seriously considering going electric as far as trimmers go. It’s also why I’ve been recommending electric trimmers to homeowners, since I’ve started my company a couple of months ago. This carb came off of a Ryobi 26HT trimmer. I bought it about four years ago. I used it once the first year at my home. Didn't use it again until last year. It ran “just good enough” to do what I needed to get done. As of late, I’m starting to target some shrub trimming jobs. I know that my trimmer must be in great working condition. So I figured I’d service it, but this is what I found out. I had attempted to replace the carb on this trimmer. $15 on Amazon for the carb kit which included the carb, two gaskets, two spark plugs, two extra primer bulbs, two fuel filters, and about 2’ of fuel line. Come to find out, one of the gaskets doesn’t quite match up. In all honesty, I can’t really complain about the condition that it’s in. It was “rose hard, and put away wet.” As you can see, the fuel lines will go bad too.

Anyways,...if you are a homeowner who doesn’t use your trimmer on a regular basis,...I’m strongly suggesting to go with a cordless battery-powered unit. The maintenance that is required on a gas-powered unit that only gets used once or twice a year is not worth it in my personal opinion. Just thought I’d share my own experience with you all.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
View attachment 387044 View attachment 387045 This is the exact reason that I’m seriously considering going electric as far as trimmers go. It’s also why I’ve been recommending electric trimmers to homeowners, since I’ve started my company a couple of months ago. This carb came off of a Ryobi 26HT trimmer. I bought it about four years ago. I used it once the first year at my home. Didn't use it again until last year. It ran “just good enough” to do what I needed to get done. As of late, I’m starting to target some shrub trimming jobs. I know that my trimmer must be in great working condition. So I figured I’d service it, but this is what I found out. I had attempted to replace the carb on this trimmer. $15 on Amazon for the carb kit which included the carb, two gaskets, two spark plugs, two extra primer bulbs, two fuel filters, and about 2’ of fuel line. Come to find out, one of the gaskets doesn’t quite match up. In all honesty, I can’t really complain about the condition that it’s in. It was “rose hard, and put away wet.” As you can see, the fuel lines will go bad too.

Anyways,...if you are a homeowner who doesn’t use your trimmer on a regular basis,...I’m strongly suggesting to go with a cordless battery-powered unit. The maintenance that is required on a gas-powered unit that only gets used once or twice a year is not worth it in my personal opinion. Just thought I’d share my own experience with you all.
I own some ryobi equipment at home and I've replaced the fuel lines on them all after a couple of years, I kinda think they are using crappy materials for it.

Planned obsolescence in a way.

I've never had to replace the fuel lines on any commercial handhelds I've been able to pick up but can't justify buying them for home use either, all my stihl equipment is repaired gifts.

I've wanted battery at home for a while just so I don't have to deal with gas for my small place.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
far as homeowner stuff goes that gets used 4 times a year, battery is the only option. I purchased a greenworks battery 40v that i run my hedge trimmer, pole saw, and potentially a string trimmer with. For commercial use if i did lots of shrubs and tree work, i'd go gas, but for my ocassional use, thsi setup is very hard to beat.

OP
Bigg-Lenny

Bigg-Lenny

LawnSite Member
far as homeowner stuff goes that gets used 4 times a year, battery is the only option. I purchased a greenworks battery 40v that i run my hedge trimmer, pole saw, and potentially a string trimmer with. For commercial use if i did lots of shrubs and tree work, i'd go gas, but for my ocassional use, thsi setup is very hard to beat.
It is definitely a lesson learned.

saw man

LawnSite Bronze Member
Except for when you need a battery for some of those units you will pay about as much as a new trimmer.
I have a trimmer that is now 21 years old and my fuel lines have NEVER looked like that! If you know how to take care of your equipment then a gas powered unit is much better than a battery one! By MILES!