1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Carb. Problems???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dago52, Apr 23, 2008.

1. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16hp briggs vangaurd on my Areins ztr. The mower was donated so I had to bring it back to life. I got it running, but I have to use starting fluid to start it for the first time. After it gets warmed up and try to recrank it, I still have to pull the choke to get it running. I only have to use the starting fluid if it sits up over night or when it is cold. I also put some seafoam in the carb., but that did not seem to help. I am thinking about pulling the carb., but want to make sure before I tear it down.

Thanks

2. dago52

Anyone have any info???

3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

You know what to do. Do it!

4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IF this engine has a fuel pump, maybe the line is allowing the fuel to run back to the tank?

IF that carb has a drain screw, you might check it before you start to make sure there is fuel in the carb.
    Also, mak sure the choke is being FULLY applied. Sometimes a cable can slip in the clamp.

5. dago52

I don't know what to do or I would have done it. I am thinking its a carb. problem, but just wanted some verification. I sometimes when you get into some old equipment things can get worse. I just need one season out of ths mower until I can get a new one.

I will check the carb. bowl for fuel and change the fuel filter while I am there. I checked the choke and it is closing all the way.

Thanks for the input