Carbs n' Cops

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BigFish, Apr 6, 2019.

1. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Am I the only one here that when I read a post sayin' " I cleaned the carb" , I automatically think of them clowns on Live PD who say " it's not mine " ???

I mean, really ? You cleaned the carb, and yet ...

Breezmeister and Walker56 like this.
  2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

@BigFish , and add to that, “I adjusted the governor”, yet it still.........
    And “All the electrical connections look good” yet it still..........

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Breezmeister and BigFish like this.
  3. Mshawn

Mshawn LawnSite Member

So was wondering how you clean or rebuild carbs? Not to challenge you. I see what your saying I was wondering that that knowledge might be useful on here

4. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a good link that describes, by mfg, how to disassemble, clean and rebuild a carb
    http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

5. Mshawn

Mshawn LawnSite Member

Cool I will read this. I think the other users can benefit from this as well

6. OP
    OP
    BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

That has been linked to /posted many times over the years here by myself and others.
    Do a search here for carb cleaning, etc. Lots of good info from a lot of mechanics.

Breezmeister, Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

why is there ever a need to "clean a carb?" i've ran engines for thousands of hours and never once cleaned a carb. you only need to clean it if you leave gas sitting in it for months without adding fuel stabilizer. even then you could probably run some seafoam or something through it to clean it out. just avoid the headache and use stabilizer if the mower will be sitting for months without being used.

i have a push mower and a 4 stroke trimmer that are both 15 years old. i've never touched the carbs on either of them.

if you have to clean a carb that means you haven't been taking care of your equipment properly. i mean what do people do? fill up the gas tank with dirt?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  8. Mshawn

Mshawn LawnSite Member

You are exactly right. I get all kinds of equipment that is thrown away because of gas left in carburetors. Tons of chainsaws, trimmers, push mowers, riding mowers, tillers you name it yes even motorcycles and generators. All because of peoples stupidity

weeze and JoeRagMan like this.
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

WE work in a dirty environment. Sometimes minute particles get by filters. If you never had a dirty carb I would suggest your work load is so small the the law of averages has yet to catch up with you.

BrandonV likes this.
  10. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

FWIW, I have an old snow thrower which I left gas in the first year I owned it ( long before ethanol fuel) and had to take to a repair shop and they replaced the carburetor because it wouldn't start. Lesson learned, siphon as much fuel out of tank as possible, add a few drops of Stabil and run until engine quits. Drain fuel bowl, oil change, etc. Siphon tool is just a piece of fuel hose with a boat bulb attached. Find that draining fuel works better that additive in the fuel. Or buy aviation fuel which has about a five year shelf life. Should have made my user name 2L8SMRT!