1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Carburetor Dip (cleaner)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blake101, Oct 21, 2012.

1. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Who makes the best Carburetor dip, getting tired of buying all of those spray cans?

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

This generation of carb dip cleaners just aren't effective, in my opinion. I had a 5 gallon bucket of cleaner I purchased in the mid 70's(my guess) that was very effective--a disassembled carb would be clean in 10-15 minutes. Wash off with hot water, blow out with air and you were good to go.

It's been too long ago to remember the name brand or formulation but I do recall it was purchased at Carquest. The product was water soluable and as it evaporated, I would add water and it was effective until the late 90's when it finally ate a hole in the bucket and left the contents on my shop floor. I wasn't paying close attention but my guess is that EPA or OSHA played a role in taking it off the market. It was very caustic--my guess is that it contained sodium hydroxide(lye).

Since the early 2000's I've used nothing but 3M brake cleaner--I buy it by the case at $1.99/can when it's on sale. I like 3M because the nozzle sits down in the recess of the can and I can knock if off the bench without damaging it.:hammerhead:

3. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

i buy chlorinated brake cleaner in gal cans from napa and, refillable spray aerosal cans. also the best cleaner i have found is automotive grade laquer thinner, been using it for years with no problems and great results

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Jetta, I have used lacquer thinner as well but its volatility and combustibility in a confined area became a concern for me, particularly in an open container.

5. joe billy

joe billy LawnSite Member

CRC brake cleaner in the green can.,you don't have to wait for results.
    It cleans instantly and works as a good starter fluid.