Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed 13 pallets of #1 Fescue sod on a pretty good slope. Since the installation we have kept it watered good but some of it has still turned brown. As a precaution I over seeded it with a sod mix seed I got from a local seed supplier here in Nashville Superior Seed. I would like to know do I need to put any kind of fertilizer on it now or later this fall to make sure it makes it through the winter.

Thanks in advance for any and all help on the subject.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A couple of things could be causing the browning of the lawn. The direction of hill, if it faces south, it is getting tons of sun. Which could be burning it more. You may have to water more, being on a slope makes the water run off more and not hold it, like on flat ground.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was gonig to say it will look better after the first rain.

Once the sod roots in so that it will not slip off the slope if you walk on I would apply at least one half pound of N to the sod. I would follow that up with an aeration as soon as the the sod is well rooted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mentioned 1/2 lb of N to the sod. I don't mean to be ignorant but is that a fertilizer? Also how much area will that cover? Attached is a picture to give you a better idea.

Plant Natural landscape Tree Land lot Grass

·
Registered
120 Posts
The "N" Stands for nitrogen the first number in your bag of fertilizer,2nd is phosphorus,3rd is "k" potassium,so the above 10-10-10 fertilizer in a 40lb bag contains 4lbs of each of the above.you basically dont want to put down more then 1lb of nitrogen per 1000 sf.most of the time we use a starter fertilizer before we put the sod down.you should always treat the soil to fertilizer because the soil does not store phosphorus very well.what kind of soil did you have under that sod??It looks pretty sandy to me which also needs to be watered more then a lawn that has a loamy base to it.I'd go with the 10-10-10 fertilizer myself.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
...you should always treat the soil to fertilizer because the soil does not store phosphorus very well...
P is one of the most stable elements in the soil. Doesn't leach or evaporate. Most soils already have sufficient P for grass. Unlocking it for usage by the plant is the biggest problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.