Career Change

shelbylawn

LawnSite Member
Hello all, I am looking for a little advice/feedback. I am currently a banker who hates waking up every day and going to work. I have been thinking about mowing lawns for some time now with the end goal of quitting my desk job and mowing full time. I plan to start out trying to pick up a few clients here and there, hopefully before the end of this season. I would like to hit the marketing hard in February and see where that takes me. I am looking to push mow and edge residential lawns. I live in a city of about 20,000 people, and figure I will need approximately 70-75 regular customers. I'm excited at the idea of working outside in all conditions and putting in long hours. Obviously my wife thinks this would be a huge mistake. However, every successful business man seems to say the same thing, find something you love doing, and figure out how to make money doing it. So basically, I'm interested to see if there is anyone out there who has made such a leap, and any other feedback would be appreciated.

ReddensLawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Do you love doing it, or do you enjoy mowing your lawn. Maintaining your lawn once every week is easy compared to keeping 75 people on a schedule working around weather and other scheduling conflicts. Dealing with customers issues/complaints. Something you love doing can turn into something that you dread even more than your current job.

Right now you wake up, go to work, come home, get paid. You don't have the stress that goes along with having your own business.

So, why do you think you love this business?
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
S

shelbylawn

LawnSite Member
I can see the potential pitfall of something you love turning into a chore. However, I truly want to be in business for myself, and the idea of working out doors all day would be a dream come true. On the flip side, I know that people who work outside all day long for air conditioning, I'm not niave to that. I already deal with numerous customer issues and complaints, so I would have no issue with that. Infact, I feel that I would care more since it would directly effect my bottom line. I truly enjoy mowing, and wish I could mow my own lawn more often.

DuallyVette

LawnSite Gold Member
And I was jus thinking of giving up lawn maintenance, and becoming a riverboat gambler.
I'm headed for the store now to buy some cards and a book on card games.

Sorry... Just feeling strange.

Kawizx62003

LawnSite Silver Member
Dig deep and figure out WHY you want to do it. If your satisfied with the answers, do it. If not, go mow your lawn and enjoy it. You are the only one who can make the decision. I loved mowing my lawn. Now, after just 15 customers, its the LAST think I want to do. In fact I told my wife yesterday, I don't make enough money on "this one" after I cut it yesterday! HAHA

BUT I love my small but growing business. Its the challenge and building something and making my customers happy that drives me to do it. It helps that I enjoy machines, mowing, and the stench of wet moldy grass when I scrape the deck in the garage and leave the pile there overnight.

LawnMowerMan2003

LawnSite Senior Member
Some people do it part time. Maybe you could try it out part time and see if you still like it. I think I am one of those people who hate sitting in an office all day. I will be quick to say that I do not enjoy working out in the heat, but I think the time goes by faster for me than it would stuck in an office. I don't think that I spend near as much time dealing with customers as some of my other jobs. It was always nice to know that they paycheck was coming though. lol

rj landscaping

LawnSite Member
Can you try it part time? Maybe have 1 route on the weekend?

Worst case, you decide you hate it, sell your equipment, and maybe take a small loss. But at least you have scratched your itch and know if it's for you or not.

ilike2mow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Some people do it part time. Maybe you could try it out part time and see if you still like it. I think I am one of those people who hate sitting in an office all day. I will be quick to say that I do not enjoy working out in the heat, but I think the time goes by faster for me than it would stuck in an office. I don't think that I spend near as much time dealing with customers as some of my other jobs. It was always nice to know that they paycheck was coming though. lol

Your opinion about sitting in an office all day goes for me too. I can't stand sitting around inside all day long. I have to be outside doing things.

Top Forums