Carlisle Versa turf tires on a ztr?

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a Ferris is3200 that uses 26/12-12 tires. the oem carlisle turf master tires are pretty well done so researching other options in the 26 inch size....traction in muddy conditions is the main short coming to the turf masters and that is a concern in the summer around here in some of my yards.

I came across these versa turf tires...I like that they are radials, They are designed for turf although are oriented more towards tractors than ztr's from what I have read... and I had good luck with at101 tires (aside from tracking on concrete badly) so wonder if anyone is using these on their ztr mower in any size or what people think of them.

Maybe my assumption that these are the right size is wrong though...they are listed as size 26/12.00r12? Is that going to be the same or close enough to the 26/12-12 carlisle turf masters that came on my ferris? I'm not sure what the 00r12 part indicates different from just 12??

thanks!

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
They are the same listed size. They are just listed slightly differently (more accurately actually). The 12.00 part means they are 12" wide and not 12.50" like a lot of tractors take, or come with oem tires marked as, ie; 23X10.50-12 etc. The r in the designation simply stands for the fact that they are radial vs bias ply.

Best thing to do if you can, is take one of your mounted and inflated wheels/tires and set it next to one of these at a tractor dealer somewhere (many JD dealers now have CUT's on their lots with these tires mounted) and see just how much, if any, size difference in height there may be so you know whether or not they will make a big change in deck pitch etc. If you can't do that or just don't want to mess with that, I'd still go for it. It wouldn't be that big a deal to re-pitch your deck. Good luck and let us know.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Or simply measure the circumference/around the tire(s) for a direct comparison.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks for the info on the tire size designation, I actually found a YouTube video from a guy that put them on his Ferris and he seemed pretty happy with them, they appear to be a little higher but I can bring the back of my deck down about a half an inch easily so I think that would make up most of the difference and be fine.
I ordered a set so I'm locked in now, LOL!

I just hope they don't track up concrete bad like the at101s did on my exmark, that was only thing that I didn't like about those.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
The R4 tires on my Cut's weren't too bad about it, so maybe the ones you are getting won't be bad either. Even the R1 ag tires I have now don't leave the tread marks like the AT's do.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Got the tires today, thems some mean looking tires compared to turf masters,lol!

Hopefully they work out, Ill be near a little hole in the wall tire shop on Monday so I'll see if I can get them mounted up cheap and quick.

IMG_20210320_132631.jpg

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Got the tires today, thems some mean looking tires compared to turf masters,lol!

Hopefully they work out, Ill be near a little hole in the wall tire shop on Monday so I'll see if I can get them mounted up cheap and quick.

View attachment 435624
Look great. Please keep us all informed on how they work out under a wide variety of conditions. The rounded corners on the lugs should really help out with not scuffing during turns, especially after you get some hours on them and the sharp edges get worn down a bit.

CGros31

LawnSite Bronze Member
My only concern with these tires would be how well would they clean out. The bar tires with wide spacing clean out exceptionally well. When I was running Turfmasters or Kendas they didn’t clean out well at all.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Got them mounted up halfway through the day today and cut a few yards with them.
There is a difference in ride with them, nothing big but they do feel a little different when going over bumps probably due to them being radials as well as the deep/different tread pattern.

They didn't leave any objectionable tracks on concrete today so I think they are much better than the at101's in that regard. They do leave tracks but most would not notice them unless they were really looking for it, the at101's on the other hand left tracks that jumped out at you and I had several customers complain about...so good times there:dancing:

Have to be a little more cautious when turning on grass as they will dig in while the carlisle turf smart's would do more a of smearing thing. but these versa turfs won't spin nearly as easy so that helps with not tearing up grass if you pay attention to your turns.

The only thing I don't like about them is they are about an inch narrower overall than the turf smart tires they replaced, despite being the same size. That will impact flotation on soft ground and the weight won't be spread out quite as much so hopefully that won't end up being a problem.

The tread on these is easily 3 times deeper than the oem tires so I'm hoping to get more than my typical 18 months (700-800 hours) out of a set before they need replacement.

Thats my initial impression and heres a couple pics of them installed.
IMG_20210323_144441.jpg
IMG_20210323_144453.jpg

Top Forums