Carlisle Versa turf tires on a ztr?

Stripes4daze

LawnSite Member
Got them mounted up halfway through the day today and cut a few yards with them.
There is a difference in ride with them, nothing big but they do feel a little different when going over bumps probably due to them being radials as well as the deep/different tread pattern.

They didn't leave any objectionable tracks on concrete today so I think they are much better than the at101's in that regard. They do leave tracks but most would not notice them unless they were really looking for it, the at101's on the other hand left tracks that jumped out at you and I had several customers complain about...so good times there:dancing:

Have to be a little more cautious when turning on grass as they will dig in while the carlisle turf smart's would do more a of smearing thing. but these versa turfs won't spin nearly as easy so that helps with not tearing up grass if you pay attention to your turns.

The only thing I don't like about them is they are about an inch narrower overall than the turf smart tires they replaced, despite being the same size. That will impact flotation on soft ground and the weight won't be spread out quite as much so hopefully that won't end up being a problem.

The tread on these is easily 3 times deeper than the oem tires so I'm hoping to get more than my typical 18 months (700-800 hours) out of a set before they need replacement.

Thats my initial impression and heres a couple pics of them installed.View attachment 435983View attachment 435984
BEEF!!

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Got them mounted up halfway through the day today and cut a few yards with them.
There is a difference in ride with them, nothing big but they do feel a little different when going over bumps probably due to them being radials as well as the deep/different tread pattern.

They didn't leave any objectionable tracks on concrete today so I think they are much better than the at101's in that regard. They do leave tracks but most would not notice them unless they were really looking for it, the at101's on the other hand left tracks that jumped out at you and I had several customers complain about...so good times there:dancing:

Have to be a little more cautious when turning on grass as they will dig in while the carlisle turf smart's would do more a of smearing thing. but these versa turfs won't spin nearly as easy so that helps with not tearing up grass if you pay attention to your turns.

The only thing I don't like about them is they are about an inch narrower overall than the turf smart tires they replaced, despite being the same size. That will impact flotation on soft ground and the weight won't be spread out quite as much so hopefully that won't end up being a problem.

The tread on these is easily 3 times deeper than the oem tires so I'm hoping to get more than my typical 18 months (700-800 hours) out of a set before they need replacement.

Thats my initial impression and heres a couple pics of them installed.View attachment 435983View attachment 435984
Those look wicked awesome on there! Thanks for the review on first impressions. Is the tire narrower from sidewall to sidewall, or is the actual tread footprint narrower on the ground? Either way, I doubt one inch will matter at all.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Those look wicked awesome on there! Thanks for the review on first impressions. Is the tire narrower from sidewall to sidewall, or is the actual tread footprint narrower on the ground? Either way, I doubt one inch will matter at all.

the tread is narrower for sure, It should be fine, just wasn't expecting it to be that much narrower than the stock tires of the same size.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
The pavement/sidewalk marking from At101s, is that only if you are turning, or even if you are just traversing straight ahead?

I found that if I went completely straight they would not leave a very noticeable mark (although they still left a faint mark) but any turning on painted or bare concrete would leave very obvious bar tread marks, the sharper the turn the darker the marks. Something about the rubber formulation on them just does it badly....regular turf tires leave marks but they don't stand out like a tractor tread bar pattern does.

The marks are difficult to remove as well, pressure washing wouldn't even remove them completely unless you got really aggressive and use a turbo nozzle.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
Thanks for the info. I actually have a set of rims with mounted at101s but havent run them yet, this is the first thread in which I've seen a hard surface marking problem discussed.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the info. I actually have a set of rims with mounted at101s but havent run them yet, this is the first thread in which I've seen a hard surface marking problem discussed.
Both Dawson and I have made mention of it in other tire threads about the AT. They are worth the markings for me, especially if it is only in a few places, but it is something to be aware of, and their added performance outweighs the markings by a mile IMO.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Both Dawson and I have made mention of it in other tire threads about the AT. They are worth the markings for me, especially if it is only in a few places, but it is something to be aware of, and their added performance outweighs the markings by a mile IMO.

Yeah, and in my area it's rare for someone not to have a concrete driveway and sidewalks so most of my customers have concrete I had to be carefull on them when I ran the at101's, thats why I'm very happy these versa turfs don't seem to have that issue.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, where you run them makes a difference where the hard surfaces are a concern, but in the turf areas, they are head and shoulders above the turf tires. I am really eager to hear how the new VT's work for you.

I think the wider bars help spread the weight out enough so that they don't leave the darker marks maybe? I know for where I mow, they would be very good, but the AT's with the wider spacing on the lugs help them bite in and pull me up and across hills well and I am concerned these may not do quite as well for me with the bars closer together like that. That is just a guess though. That is why I am eager to hear how they work for you, though you probably don't have many hills to contend with?

Top Forums