Carlisle Versa turf tires on a ztr?

CGros31

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah, where you run them makes a difference where the hard surfaces are a concern, but in the turf areas, they are head and shoulders above the turf tires. I am really eager to hear how the new VT's work for you.

I think the wider bars help spread the weight out enough so that they don't leave the darker marks maybe? I know for where I mow, they would be very good, but the AT's with the wider spacing on the lugs help them bite in and pull me up and across hills well and I am concerned these may not do quite as well for me with the bars closer together like that. That is just a guess though. That is why I am eager to hear how they work for you, though you probably don't have many hills to contend with?
I have noticed marks while turning as well, but I don't really have an issue with marks while going in straight line on hard surfaces. I am interested in how the VT's will "clean out" when getting packed with mud. The AT 101's do not have an issue at all with that.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have noticed marks while turning as well, but I don't really have an issue with marks while going in straight line on hard surfaces. I am interested in how the VT's will "clean out" when getting packed with mud. The AT 101's do not have an issue at all with that.
I won't probably encounter much mud until after July but Carlisle's description of them says they're specifically made to not pack up with mud at least on the outer edges of the bars where there's wider spacing between the treads.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I found that if I went completely straight they would not leave a very noticeable mark (although they still left a faint mark) but any turning on painted or bare concrete would leave very obvious bar tread marks, the sharper the turn the darker the marks. Something about the rubber formulation on them just does it badly....regular turf tires leave marks but they don't stand out like a tractor tread bar pattern does.

The marks are difficult to remove as well, pressure washing wouldn't even remove them completely unless you got really aggressive and use a turbo nozzle.
Or a proper chemical to break it down first. ;)

FrogsMowing

LawnSite Member
How do the VT perform on hill sides? I have properties that have "dry" retention ponds with very steep banks. I am running the oem Turf Masters on my Turf Tiger but need something with better hillside performance.

ArtMN

LawnSite Member
I've been using the VT tires on my 915E in moderately hilly conditions. Compared with the stock Turf Master tires there is significantly better traction and confidence on hills. The tradeoff for this increased traction and confidence is more turf damage with tight radius turns. The VT tires are not as turf friendly as they grip, where the Turf Master tires will slip in a tight turn. For my hilly conditions, I definitely believe the VT is the better choice.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've been using the VT tires on my 915E in moderately hilly conditions. Compared with the stock Turf Master tires there is significantly better traction and confidence on hills. The tradeoff for this increased traction and confidence is more turf damage with tight radius turns. The VT tires are not as turf friendly as they grip, where the Turf Master tires will slip in a tight turn. For my hilly conditions, I definitely believe the VT is the better choice.
That's been my experience with them more or less, they definitely have a lot more traction than the turf tires that came on my Ferris with the trade off that you have to be a little more careful especially on nice yards where the people will notice torn up divots if you're not careful turning. Turf Masters will do the same thing just not as bad, the versa turfs will really dig in and take the grass up by the roots if you try to make a sharp turn.

chem1

LawnSite Member
Does anybody know where a guy can get a couple of these Versa Turfs in the 24x12x12 size? I've looked all over the interweb and everybody seems to be "Out Of Stock"?

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
I saw these when I was looking for tires. The main reason I didn't try them is I don't have the clearance for 26" tires. The secondary reason is I wanted something that wouldn't track grime and dog poo, etc. So I went with AT101's.

When I first started running them I did notice black marks where I turned on the concrete. I can't really recall that well, but I think that stopped really early on. I don't know if that was because I changed how I drive pretty quickly or if the initial soft rubber on top right out of the mold got worn off pretty quick. But I do not notice it now. What I notice is that dirty concrete does track up with them. It's like it crushes the crud that is growing and it rinses off next time it rains, leaving little tractor tread patterns. I don't know if the Versa Turf will do the same thing but it might help sell some cleanup work lol.

When I replace them again, I am going to go with the Kenda brand version, I had Kenda caster tires before that I liked a lot better. They were taller and wider. And I figure the rears will still fit... and generally Kenda has a harder longer wearing rubber compound.

I'm never going back to turf tires. I knew that after the first time I mowed with them. Lot more traction, lot less slipping, spinning, way less turf damage and nothing sticks in the tread. I did have to change how I turn just a little bit which makes my turns slightly slower. But I make up for it in the passes because the tires ride a little better. I will run ag tread pattern from now on. When I get a new mower it will have to have 24" or 22" rear tire size and first thing I will do is swap the tires out.

Let me know how you think the more squared tire shoulder does in comparison to the rounded flotation type shape of the AT101 or K472.

Top Forums