Carrier per K North vs South

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
I have read several threads on here and some say use little carrier and some like a bunch of carrier. I have said many times that I get a better weed kill from my gas powered backpack at 1gal per K. I have also said I am old school and think a boom with flat spray tips work best, while others say the Hypro and flood type [low volume] do just as good.

What I did was look at some of my most used herbicides and looked at the amount per K that they recommend. I would like to know what your favorite herbicides recommend and where you are located and grass types you treat. My grasses are mostly Bermuda and St Augustine with very minimal Zoysia. My soil type varies. Most is regular heavy clay but some is red clay, sand, black land and some shallow with limestone from just a couple of inches below soil to needing to pick rocks up every time it rains.

Celcius - min 25 gallons per K up to 60gallons per K for heavy weed population

Speedzone Southern - min 3 gal per K up to 220 gal per K for Bermuda.
For St Augustine they recommend min 40 gal per K up to 220 gal per K

Revolver - min 25 gal per K up to 60 gal per K for heavy weed population

Simazine 4L - min 20 gal per K

Well, I showed you mine now let's see yours

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Everything is applied at 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft or 40 gallons per acre on Bermuda or Zoysia. I have applied at 20 gallons per acre on really big lawns, but weed control suffered.

On St Augustine and centipede, I apply at 2 gallons per 1000. The thicker grass tends to make coverage more critical.

I also prefer flat fan nozzles on 20" spacings at 16" height. Flood nozzles cover differently from fan nozzles. Large drops falling far apart do not work the same. My test is spraying a mix of blue dye and non ionic surfactant through any configuration I am thinking about using. What I am looking for, is total and uniform coverage of grass and weeds.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I run PG at around 1/3 gal/K. Weed control on most broadleafs is good.
I do spot spray thistle patches, nutsedge, etc with a backpack for more complete coverage of the foliage. Not very often do I have to do this.

OP
Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
Someone on here just mentioned a newer herbicide named Blindside. I just looked at the label and it called for 20gal min and 175gal max per acre. I guess our southern grasses and herbicides really do need a lot more water.

OP
Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
I spray 1/3 gal pre 1000 here in GA. On Bermuda grass. works great!!!
I think you are also making my point about using a boom also.

Everybody that sprays at low rates, I would also like to know what your label recommends.

The Speedzone Southern I use says 3gal per acre is OK for Bermuda, but recomends min of 40gal per acre for St Augustine.