Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the middle of cutting when I notice a reduction in my mower's rpm, starts to sputter a little, and puffs of black smoke are coming from the muffler.

I immediately throttle down, dis-engage, check under the deck & all other visuals I can perform - all is fine. So, I load up and go straight to the local service center.

Turned out to be just a fouled spark plug. The mechanic had it solved in 10 minutes. I don't know if any of you have experienced similar problems, but I now have an extra set of plugs in my truck in case I see these symptoms again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by 65hoss
Plugs for everything are kept in the truck toolbox. The last thing you need is to waste time on a $2 item.
How true, how true.
Might also think about extra belt(s). Alot of dealers give breaks (dicount pricing) to guys who buy "stock" parts at the first of the year

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by redbull
How true, how true.
Might also think about extra belt(s). Alot of dealers give breaks (dicount pricing) to guys who buy "stock" parts at the first of the year
Roger that. Somehow, I also lost a click pin off one of my front caster wheels so I went ahead and got a couple extra of those too.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
Roger that. Somehow, I also lost a click pin off one of my front caster wheels so I went ahead and got a couple extra of those too.
Me too, I carry tires, and all belts and just about every other thing I can think of.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by GLAN
Never carried extra spark plugs.
Our machines are regularly serviced.
Don't want the men being tail gate mechanics
I grease, oil change, clean air filters, and wash/blow my machines off on a regular basis. My mowers were bought brand new this spring. According to the mechanic..........."this was just one of those things, a bad/fouled spark plug no rhyme or reason to it."

That's why I'll be carrying spares with me from here on out - a 5 min. fix @ $4.00 investment vs. even 1 hr. down time = wise idea.

I guess I could add spark plug change every "x" weeks to the list too; however, even a new one could foul so the spares stay on the truck.

I didn't know before the mechanic showed me, but comparing the good plug to the bad one.........the bad one was "wet" with fuel because it wasn't firing. So, if ya'll see these signs you might be able to save yourselves a bunch of time and stress with an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Ooops, my mowers are gas.

Just drooling over diesels, until then, spare plugs it is:D

On the truck we have 2 identical ZTR's, 3 identical trimmers, and 2 identical blowers, so 1 spare set of plugs for each type of equipment stays on the truck. I try to keep spare belts, too.

I max out on the spare stuff to the extent we can carry it around without damaging it.

KB

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When you're Mighty & Green like Glan, guess some lost time doesn't matter. Can tell he's never had any accidents of something falling at just the right angle and breaking the porcelain on a plug. Two minute fix 'if' you have a spare.
Always considered spare parts of replaceables to be part of Lawn Care 101.
More power to you if you've never needed 'em.

·
Registered
378 Posts

Don't want the men being tail gate mechanics
I agree. The quickest way to have a machine go from a $2.00 fix of replacing a spark plug to an over $200.00 short block replacement is to allow the crew to think they can fix stuff in the field. Critical spares are carried in the form of extra equipment. If a piece goes down, the back up is put into service. I work on the crew that I am on. I hate being a tailgate mechanic even though I do all the maintenance myself. The most I do in the field is to change the blades and air cleaner. Having back-up equipment may seem like a waste of money because 90% of the time it just sits on the trailer. But when you need it and the the dealer's service shop is swamped for the next three weeks in repairs, it is worth every penny. Customers do not accept our mechanical problems as an excuse not to have the job done on time.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^

Now there is a fellow that understand production.
Are you saying spending 5-10 min. in the field replacing a $2.00 spark plug, when you know that's the problem is'nt in the interest of staying productive?

I guess I'm just super fortunate, because the service center down here says "two day turn around on repairs, guaranteed." So, if I ever do need it hopefully I'm not stranded too long.

I'm not talking about turning a crew loose with toolbox in hand and led by "creative repair ideas." All I meant to do with this thread was point out a particular problem I had just in case anyone else has it & maybe save somebody time, money & stress.

I had a professional diagnose and explain the problem I had. I am simply passing that knowledge along to those who might care to put it to use. If not, cool, but I don't think there's any need to imply some of don't know how to be productive and/or don't maintain our machines. Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I had a idler pulley bearing go out yesterday, put the 48' w/b back in service. I took the 72" to my dealer, had part in stock and took his main Mechanic off from what he was working on and put him on mine. I met back with the crew in 1.5 hours. He's a very good dealer.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by wriken
I had a idler pulley bearing go out yesterday, put the 48' w/b back in service. I took the 72" to my dealer, had part in stock and took his main Mechanic off from what he was working on and put him on mine. I met back with the crew in 1.5 hours. He's a very good dealer.
Now that's service.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
Are you saying spending 5-10 min. in the field replacing a $2.00 spark plug, when you know that's the problem is'nt in the interest of staying productive?

What I'm saying is that when the actual temp is 109 without THI considered (like it was Wed this week), the last thing I want to do is bend over a hotter machine for even a minute. If I can't carry it into the truck cab where the AC is running the spare is used. On the rare occassions that I have to fix something on the street such as a slipped belt on the Scag drive wheel, I feel like a 1st year rookie. The only reason I change blades in the field is because I am am a lazy fart and have the crew there to flip the machine over for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.