Casey's Pictures Thread

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by caseysmowing, Sep 16, 2013.

1. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

When you work for yourself on the side all FT jobs start to always look iffy. That's the problem I have with my side hustle. IT ALWAYS ON MY MIND and at times takes precedence over anything I should be doing. I've had so much work this year and it hasn't stopped yet. My wife is almost ready to walk on me since I have barely been home. Just this morning another text for leaf cleanup and possible 2018 landscape installation.

At some point I need to find the balance. Whether it be scaling back, increasing and finding a consistent helper, or changing the plan. Personally I like #2 & #3. It's tough when things are going so well to just walk. Because just like you said the FT job isn't always as secure as they seem to be no matter how hard you work or how good you are at the job. But running a landscape business is no walk in the park either. Plus starting a new family is no cake walk either.

Ahhhh, the life choices.

caseysmowing likes this.
  2. STATEMENTLAWNCARE

STATEMENTLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Great thread! Now that you've put some hours on the billy goat, what are your thoughts on it? How does it do with wet/mulched leaves? Which motor is on it? Looking to pull the trigger on one, but I'm concerned on how to mount it to my truck (I don't want to pull a trailer). Any feed back would be helpful and keep up the great work!

3. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I like it a lot. It does fine on wet leaves as long as it's not below freezing because they will slowly freeze up the hose. I did leaves in the snow and tried to suck them up bad idea. I did suck up year old leaves that were left in a pile. It did fine for that just back breaking using a pitch fork to get the leaves unmatted. Mounting one to a truck with take some customizing but it can be done. Beck on here has it on the front of a npr style truck. Another member had it mount on the back but had to use a tractor/skid loader to remove to be able to dump. Let me know what you come up with.

hort101 likes this.
  4. PLLandscape

What kind of truck? My loader uses the tailgate hanger. I'm looking at getting a stake body dump so I may look into the mount made by BG. Expensive but you know it's built right and works correctly.

5. caseysmowing

It's the 35hp vanguard.

6. PLLandscape

That must suck. :eek::confused:o_O:)

caseysmowing likes this.
  7. STATEMENTLAWNCARE

I currently have the same 16 hp trac vac loader that you have/had Casey, but am looking to upgrade. I really want to mount the new vac to a swing away hitch. I just haven't seen anyone else put that big of a loader on a swing away. I'll be putting it on the back of a Ford F650. From what I see on Billy Goats web site, you can not do the swing away hitch for anything over 18hp. I might see if a local fabrication shop could make something.

8. caseysmowing

Fab shop is going to be your best bet. I still have the trac vac and still use it for the small stuff but there is no comparison between the two except they both suck. Beck also had a trac vac before getting the 35hp goat.

hort101 likes this.
  9. STATEMENTLAWNCARE

Thank you for the info! I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.

hort101 likes this.
  10. caseysmowing

Little update. Nothing new really business wise but I am having another baby this September. We are pretty excited about it. Hoping for another girl but it really doesn't matter to us. I did pick up a Stihl ms362c 25 inch bar off of letgo app. One hour of use on it for $500. I've been working lots of OT at my FT job this year so I'm tired all the time. Going to try to take off 3 weeks FMLA when the baby is born.

PLLandscape and hort101 like this.