Cat skid steer question?

Cat_246B

LawnSite Member
This might have been answered before. Why do some of Cats skid/track loaders have the lift cylinders in the back, like the 279c.:confused: The only advantage I can think of is better side visibility, it looks like it would add stress to the lift arms to?
Here is a picture of the new 272 D.

cat d series.jpg

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
The position of the lift cylinder has a large impact on the required size of loader arms. The closer the cylinder to the hinge point, the greater the stress on the loader arms and the larger the arms need to be to handle the stress. When someone says"wow those loader arms are huge" well they are large because they have to be. Typically a radial lift machine will position the end of the lift cylinder closer to the front of the machine. Much less stress on loader arms and so the arms can be smaller yet still plenty strong to accomplish the task. This also means cleaner sight lines as there is less bulk in the way. If you look at that CAT 272 you can see how much less visibility you have with that machine compared to a 246.

Typically that is the case. The 279 is a radial lift and but has a similiar lift cylinder placement to a vertical lift. The 465 is a vertical lift machine but CASE places the end of the lift cylinder towards the front of the machine.

OP
C

Cat_246B

LawnSite Member
Advanced wall structures: Radial lift machines

Ksss: Thanks for the information, even though I still don't know why Cat would but the lift cylinders that far back, being that its not a vertical lift machine.

What would be the advantage of having the cylinders that far back, besides better side visibility?

ksss

LawnSite Fanatic
When the lift cylinders are close to the hinge point, they are typically shorter, usually you can get a faster lift with a cylinder with a shorter stroke. The cylinder also tends to be of greater diameter since its less effecient to lift that close to the hinge point, it requires a more powerful lift cylinder.

bobcat_ron

LawnSite Fanatic
Cat puts the cylinders on the C Series in back to save manufacturing costs with having to weld on extra bushing placements for the radius path loaders to allow for a cylinder to lay horizontal, much faster just to add the vertical path bits and pieces on the back of the booms. The visibilty is better with the cylinders in back versus laying down like on the B Series.
And now with the D Series, they have moved the fuel filler to the side of the chassis so a cylinder laying horizontal wouldn't work, and on second thought, that's a REALLY bad place to have a filler neck, holy hell, I can imagine what the CTL tracks could sling up in there in deep mud.

OP
C

Cat_246B

LawnSite Member
I agree with you Ron, that the fuel fill is in a bad spot on the d series, and it will get covered in mud,dirt,ect. I like where it is on the old 246 I use at work, really easy to get to. When will the D series be out this year?