CDL and insurance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gvandora, Aug 24, 2002.

  1. gvandora

    gvandora LawnSite Member
    Messages: 143

    I was wondering if any of you out there are CDL holders. If you are can you answer this question? How does it affect your personal car insurance. I'm not asking about insuring your CDL license requiring trucks, but just for regular vehicles such as a Ford Explorer or Honda Civic. Do you get a discount or anything?
  2. KLMlawn

    KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 443

    Not to my knowledge ... I don't think insurance companies care what class license you have as long as you have one and you haven't run over a crowd of people, or play "tag" with your vehicle.
  3. dforbes

    dforbes LawnSite Member
    Messages: 195

    It won't effect your insurance rate on your personal vehicles. However if you have a cdl you fall under federal regulations. even if you get stopped in your personal car and have 1 beer you probably will get a dui because the bac your allowed is much lower than on a regular license. I am told there is no tolerance in this area. Are you looking at getting a cdl? Most people unless you are driving a truck with air brakes or hazerdes materials are not required to have them.
  4. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,411

    CDL made no difference in my insurance rates. Remember though, with a CDL the legal limit for DUI is .04 not .08 or .10 and this is whether you are driving a commercial vehicle or a moped. Alcohol levels of .01 to .039 will get your license suspended for 24 hours :(
  5. Brickman

    Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,249

    No lower rate for personal insurance for me either. I have heard the same thing as these other guys, much lower bac for holders of CDL.
  6. Mowingman

    Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 4,714

    I have had a CDL for years and it has no effect on my insurance. It has come in handy over the years. Last winter my previous employer (I quit to go full time LCO) needed some large trucks moved from place to place and was short of drivers. Made some good money moving trucks during the winter months.:D
  7. Or your truck has a combind axel rating of 26,000 pounds an up.

    Air brakes on a less than 26k you still have to have a CDL.

    Motorhomes are exempt, with the specialized permit.

    However you have a CLD license and not a class "F" there are some resrictions that you still have to follow for the CDL.

    INS Co's could car less if you are driving a car, because the car is insured first in most cases not the driver.
  8. KLMlawn

    KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 443

    There is one upside that I have found with having a CDL, if you do get stopped for something minor, while driving your regular vehicle (car, SUV, etc.), like rolling thru a stop sign or a right on red type thing, it seems that most cops will see that you have a CDL and assume that you use it in the persuit of making a living, not knowing that you are self-employed, and let you go with a warning. They seem to have more consideration for you and are more likely to cut a break to someone who "drives" for a living.
  9. KLM does that mean that we can give the cop a ticket when he rolls a stop, or a light. I have seen them do it right after writting one to some one. I have seen them do it just like you and I while just driving down the road. I have seen them speed also.

    That is on the cop, and I wouldn't expect it to happen.

    Best solution is to not get cought.

Share This Page