1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

CDL for Illinois lawn care?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bntt68, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. bntt68

    bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 329

    I was told that if you have an Lawn Care co. and have lettering or signs on the side of your vehicle or trailer, you are required by the state of Illinois to carry a CDL. (commercial drivers license). Have any of you heard of this? They said the state police were going to start checking.
  2. newlooklandscp

    newlooklandscp LawnSite Member
    Messages: 224

    Never heard of that unless its a truck thats over an F Plate. Then either way you need a CDL to drive it. I keep all my trucks F and D plates. This way no CDL's are needed. If that turns out to be the case I guess back for classes I go. haha. Anyone else hear anything about this?

  3. dcondon

    dcondon LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,246

    Sure don't need one in Michigan, call your DMV office to make sure.
  4. bntt68

    bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 329

    DMV is closed today but I will check tomorrow. This came from a guy that has a cdl.
  5. Splicer

    Splicer LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 992

    You must have commercial tags IF you have lettering on the side of the truck. Thats it. You are not supposed to be on LSD if you have commercial tags on your truck regardless of lettering or not. Even a F-150 by itself is not allowed on LSD if it is lettered...even if it is empty.

    The ONLY time a CDL is required is when you reach the weight limit set by the state (whatever that is in IL, been years since I lived there)...
  6. bntt68

    bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 329

  7. one man gang

    one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.
    Messages: 5,811

    Lake Shore Drive
  8. DLCS

    DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,386

    I've never heard of that one. But I did hear that the ISP will be doing random safety checks for guys pullling trailers. Not many companies here obey the law of having brakes, proper hitch, working lights, and break away kits on their trailers. They say too many lawn companies pulling overloaded, unsafe trailers and that the problem has increased in the last couple of years, go figure.:rolleyes:
  9. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,373

    Instead of calling the DMV, get ahold of your state patrol.

    Look up IL State Patrol under google, and contact them through email.

    Ask them if it's required for you to have CDL.

    Here in MN, you're required to have a CDL, NO matter what you're driving, if you're driving commercially, which means LCO, landscapers, couriers driving Ford Escorts, whatever.

    The only time you come into a weight issue, is whether or not your vehicle needs an inspection sticker or not.

    Also, if you travel inTERstate, not inTRAstate, then you're supposed to have a USDOT number as well, but only if you travel INTERSTATE, which I don't, so I don't have the number.

    After I posted, I even did the google search for you...

    Here's your contacts...


Share This Page