1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

cdl info

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mdscaper, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. mdscaper

    mdscaper LawnSite Member
    Messages: 17

    I thought I'd post some info. I gathered from different state Gov. websites. Since I am trading in my 10k gvw trailer for a 14k Gvw, I wanted to make sure I didn't need a CDL.
    According to the Michigan, Maryland and Pa. websites you only need a CDL if your trailer is over 10K AND your GCWR is over 26K.
    My Dodge 3500 srw(9900lb) can tow a 14k trailer and stay under this limit. Dodge lists the GCWR for my truck at 23K so as long as my truck isn't fully loaded, I'm good there too.
    I did replace the factory hitch with a class V. So as long as I drive carefully, I'm safe, legal and within the manufacturers limits.
  2. selnoil

    selnoil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 162

    The best thing to do is call your local State Police or State Police Commercial Enforcement Div. and see what they have to say. At least here in Maine they have always been very helpful. I'd love to help but I'm not sure about the trailer question. I can answer most cdl stuff but you got me here.
  3. GeoffDiamond

    GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 1,651

    Guys it is pretty simple.

    The Key Word is TRAILER. If there trailer is 10,001 lbs or more you need a Class A cdl to move the trailer. It doesn't matter if your using a Ford F 350 to tow it or a International Paystar 5000.

  4. mdb landscaping

    mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,205

    geoff is right on the money.........we got tagged at a dmv truck squad stop and they said we technically needed a cdl. its an f350 towing a 28 ft big tex trailer. load that up with 3 riders, a walkbehind, and back pack blowers, we are well over 10k. this winter we all went and got our cdls just so we are covered if we get stopped again.
  5. selnoil

    selnoil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 162

    Glad you guys were able to help mdscaper. My oil company rigs are all cdl. I've never had to deal with these smaller trailers but now I know. Out of curiousity Matt did they issue you guys all class A's. My company has tractor trailers and straight trucks so my guys use them. I've never heard of guys using a 1 ton with a tag-a-long to get licenses before, thats cool and I bet easier too.
    Our lawn care trailer is a 16' 7000 gvw so we are almost there.

  6. JB1

    JB1 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,904

    Here we have to have all dot equipment for anything over 10001 pounds and that includes a medical card but we do not have to have cdl's till we are over 26000 pounds.
  7. mdscaper

    mdscaper LawnSite Member
    Messages: 17

    I appreciate the help guys, but unless I'm reading these sites wrong, a CDL is only required when the GCWR is over 26K. Therefore my combination (24K) doesn't fit the need. All the states I saw have different wording, but the same requirements.


    I have a feeling that even some of the enforcement officers are confused. The combination requirement is pretty well spelled out on the above site.
  8. mdscaper

    mdscaper LawnSite Member
    Messages: 17

    The link doesn't seem to work, so you can go to the cdl section of the michigan.gov site and click on "Who needs a commercial drivers license"
  9. selnoil

    selnoil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 162

    Its going to rain here on Tuesday so I'm going to call the ME state police. I seem to recall someone talking about it one time. I'm in your court thinking its over 26,000 but I'll let you know what ME says since I'd like to know anyway.
  10. bnrhuffman

    bnrhuffman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 62

    Im looking at my WV CDL study guide right now (Im getting my CDL for other purposes) and you are exactly right. I believe MD follows NCDLP guidelines just like WV. You need a CDL if you go over 26000 GCWR. Those of you that are talking about needing a CDL for a trailer over 10000 are talking about the difference between a class B and a class A CDL.
    You do need a USDOT number on that truck and a USDOT medical card if you travel across state lines and use the vehicle for business (interstate commerce). Im in the same boat as you. My truck and trailer GCVW is 24400 and I travel across state lines. My question is do I want to bother with the USDOT number and the rest of the crap that goes with it. The way I see it, its basically unenforcable. If I get stopped, whos to say whether Im using it for interstate commerce or going to walmart for dish soap.

Share This Page