1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

CDL....sorry I looked first.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by qps, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. qps

    qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,484

    O.K...here's the deal...using my F450 15K..pulling my skidsteer trailer 14K....
    29K...I should have a Class A CDL with a Combination Endorsement ( trailer).
    My dilemma is...I have passed all the written test...even the air brake endorsement test and have my CDL learners permit...which is stupid because I'm not suppose to drive without a CDL license holder in the truck....I don't own or have never driven anything with air brakes, everyone I've talked to says to get the air brake endorsement anyways.....you can take the road test using there equipment for an extra 50.00 dollars....no big deal right....unless you fail and have to retake it...150.00 again...there test trucks are single axle dumps with 18 ft trailers..( I believe the trailer does not have air brakes...electric I was told)....botton line is....if you drive and tow a trailer with a combined gvw of over 26K...loaded or not...plated correctly or not you are required to have a CDL class A with Combination endorsement...this I am positive...(sister in law is manager at local BMV).....So...test using my equipment that I'm familiar with....or test using theres with air brakes and just knock it out and be done with it??? I'm leaning towards the latter...
  2. ksss

    ksss LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,151

    The class A is required if the trailer has a GVW over 10001 pounds. However it is really irrevelent. I would get the air brake endorsement. Study the book, and be very familiar with the procedure for checking the air brakes. If you know someone that has an airbrake truck, it makes more sense when you can practice on the truck rather than just reading the material and memorizing it. The pretrip inspection is what sinks most guys here. Once you got you never have to worry about having enough license, of course you will need a medical card (I am little concerned about your CAT addiction but again the hypnotherapy will cure it).
  3. J. Peterson Grading

    J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA
    Messages: 989

    That sucks man.

    In Iowa, I believe its 40,000 GVW before a driver needs to have a CDL of any kind. (This was told to me as I sat in a Iowa Vehicle enforcement car, by the enforcement officer. Quite helpful. But the ticket sucked!!!!)

    I have 3 toner dump trucks. 2, I pull trailers with and the third is just a dumptruck.

    Empty weight on these is 8000 to 10000 (Truck only weight) Trucks loaded with soil, stone or other misc materials is 14000 to GVW. Pulling a trailer with a skidloader or Mini Excavator is roughly 25000 to 28000 GVW depending on size of machine being hauled.

    So hopefuly licensing my trucks @ 30000 GVW will cover all my non-CDL bases

  4. qps

    qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,484

    I would question the Class A requirement for 10001 lbs.....my understanding is 10k and over, no cdl required, but you must have dot number, medical card, fire ext. and reflector kit......now all of that may fly out the window if your talking commercial applications...I don't know about that for sure.....do they let you use a pre trip check list or is all by memory....alittle passed the physical...eye site 20/15...110/80 blood pressure...thank god you don't have to pass a mental exam....
  5. Scag48

    Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,067

    That's for agricultural use only. As soon as they catch you hauling commercially, your arse is in the fire. WA state is like that too, anything under 40,000 and you don't need a CDL for farm/ag.
  6. qps

    qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,484

  7. qps

    qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,484

    Think I misunderstood you here....if your trailer is rated for 10K or higher...class A is required...that is probably true...but like you said a 5 ton trailer won't pull much.....
  8. Dirt Digger2

    Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA
    Messages: 2,396

    since your already illegal i would just go and get yours now...then go back later and get your airbrakes
  9. ksss

    ksss LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,151

    They don't let you use any type of pretrip check list, at least not here. I took this test twice. Once to get my class B I had a 33K air brake, single axle dump truck but I only was pulling a 10K skid steer trailer. Smart money would have been to borrow a heavier trailer and gotten the A. However due to much lead in the paint here in Idaho as well as the why do it right when you can do it twice mentality, I had to retake the test to get my A. This time I took it in a 65' combination truck and side dump trailer. So my advise is to get it all the first time.

    110/80 dam Tim are taking a sedative? 20/15 vision. You are supposed to be nearing 40 not 14.
  10. meets1

    meets1 LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,850

    I got pulled over this summer. Single axle dump. It was over the stated gross weight, I needed a class D chaufer lic. An hour an half along side the road with a women who wrote me up for everything she could find. The ticket wasn't cool. Sad thing is the person we bought the truck from did this all the time, never had a lic. and told me that it was under CDL which is why I bought it. Lesson learned!

Share This Page