1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Cedar Tree Pruning?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by WarriorLandscaping, Apr 7, 2020.

1. WarriorLandscaping

WarriorLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to post a tree-related question.

I have a client with large emerald cedars (I think), They have taken Winter damage to the tops (See pictures)

She wants them to be trimmed down but I've noted that this can be dangerous to the tree's, especially if pruned back to deeply.

With regards to the pictures do you think I can take off these hanging / broken branches without compromising the health of these tree's.

Thank you

20200403_122816.jpg

20200403_122913.jpg

20200403_122915.jpg

20200403_122814.jpg

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

They're going to look horrible if you top them. They won't die, but they're going to be fugly.

Tie them to each other?

hort101 likes this.
  3. hal

hal LawnSite Fanatic
    from Georgia

Tie them like Mark said or just clip the wayward ones

4. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

WarriorLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

Yeah I don't want any pug fugly tree's,
    Tieing is a good idea,

hort101 likes this.
  5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a work of art to me! :)

6. SilverPine

SilverPine LawnSite Member

Tie it for sure. Looks like it will be a bit awkward with the ladders.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

They look like arborvitaes
    Tie them with appropriate material

BrandonV likes this.
  8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

The gentleman above is correct.

hort101 likes this.
  9. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nj

Unless you put a permanent tie or someone takes them off, it'll happen again and that time be larger limbs that probably snap.

They do look like some sort of arborvitae, american? It gets confusing with those/cypresses/thuja without seeing cones, leaf close-ups.

I think it would benefit to cut back those branches and leave the one central leader for the one alone on the lawn. I would snip about half of them, still tie them to heal, then if fills in green behind where the sections were removed, gradually take more off until there's no long branches prone to snapping.
    If you're not cutting too much off, it should fill in, especially now is a decent time and not mid-summer, early spring is best usually. The one near the house but not up close to it like the 3 others looks like 4 equal parts, so can't prune to leave a central leader, but if trained from the start might have been able.

Not sure the mature/max height/girth of that species but the ones against the house should be maintained, but the one in the middle of the lawn you can probably just let it grow, leaving just the central leader will make it grow taller and usually just better all around regardless that it makes them more snow-proof too. If it ever gets too big to prune and want to keep it trimmed every year to grow dense and uniform,being a small conifer I think it could be topped without too much risk as long as you're not taking too much off which might never grow back upward and look like a tree with its head cut off.

10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Tie them as Hort101 said. Also shear the top slightly to slow down the long fast growth and do that every year. That will stiffen it up and make it harder for them to open up.

hort101 likes this.