Celsius for Ryegrass kill?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Coachbob, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

I was talking to a weed control company today and they told me they use Celsius to eradicate ryegrass on Bermuda sports fields. The price was about $100.00 per acre cheaper than Revolver or Monument. Curious if this off label use is commonplace?

Thanks
    CB

2. Tidewater Greenworks

Tidewater Greenworks LawnSite Member

For sure Celsius is very wide spectrum. It's also one of the best spot controls (at high rate) for tough weeds like buttonweed, and combined with Revolver you can usually knock back Dallisgrass if you time the application in the first few weeks of emergence. You're also only allowed one application per year at the high rate and two at the mid rate, so I save those and wouldn't consider it for a transition app.

Monument has the added benefit of providing long-duration residual sedge control. An April broadcast app of Monument usually gets me through til August without having to deal with yellow nutsedge. Add to that its great control of many cool-season grasses and I think it's the best transition app despite the cost.

Katana is similar, much cheaper, but without the residual control and its label is just vague enough to cause headaches. It states that you can do a 'targeted, directed spray on all weeds' which suggests 'spot spray only' without actually saying that key word. Can you do a targeted directed spray on an entire lawn if the target weed is ryegrass at transition? Up to you and your Ag agent, I guess. Spot spray has a specific meaning of no more than 1,000 ft per acre and would not allow that use. Of course this only applies to residential lawns, the sod farm/golf use is much more broad.

3. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

Excellent info as usual. Is Monument okay for later spring transition? Rate? To be safe, we are thinking third week in May when season is over? I was reading an article that Katana is very fast kill and turf quality is poor during transition. Monument somewhat slower with better turf quality. At that point in May, I’m looking for a pretty quick kill while we have a short break before summer ball, maybe 2 1/2 weeks. We are seeing Bermuda runners popping up in the dirt basepaths, so Hoping for no cold spell so we can goose the Bermudagrass. Lowered Mowing height to 3/4 inch with triplex reel mower. Ryegrass and Poa showing signs of stress from mowing and heat, keeping water steady (no increase) for now. We can go to 1/2 inch if necessary too.

4. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

5. Tidewater Greenworks

Monument is very safe, I use it from early April through May. 0.1oz-0.35oz/A is enough to kill ryegrass, with the low rate giving you a gradual transition and the high rate being a faster transition. Depending on temperature you will get a kill on ryegrass in about a week with the high rate and it will stop growing immediately after application. Other cool season grasses like fescue and poa annua will be longer, 2-3wk kills, but everything stops growing as soon as you spray it. Not sure if 0.1oz/A rate is enough to get the residual sedge control and control of other cool-season grasses. I use the 0.35oz/A rate, (2 of the 5g packets per acre). I use a simple 80/10 NIS as the surfactant at 0.5% by volume.

If you're seeing runners I'd also put down some 50/50 slow-release fert at 1lb N/k.

Coachbob likes this.
  6. jcollett83

jcollett83 LawnSite Member

Why pay that much for any of those chemicals when you can spray MSM @ .5oz an acre for about $8.

7. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

Well son-of-a-gun jcollett83, I didn't even know it was labled for it until I just read it. I have some in the shop because it does a nice job on purslane and knotweed in summer. I see there is a fairway rate and a greens rate. Do you have experience with it at different rates? Our fields are cut at about fairway height, so I assume I would use the fairway rate. I think I'll do a test patch.

8. jcollett83

jcollett83 LawnSite Member

I would run the .5oz an acre rate.

Coachbob likes this.
  9. Tidewater Greenworks

Because Monument also controls a ton of other cool-season grasses, some broadleafs and provides near season-long sedge control. It's the best product for my program, where just a couple of callbacks for grassy weed control would cost me far and away more in lost time and productivity than the increased price per k.

MSM is a good product too, I use it to spike my broadleaf control in warm season; much as I use Triclopyr in a cool-season program. It's just not a standalone for me as a transition app. I've also experienced slow greenup when I've used it just prior to bermuda greenup @ 0.5oz/A. Many others report no ill-effects, though.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I would say MSM at .50 would slow greenup from what I've seen, just throwing that in