Celsius on centipede advice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jeharley, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jeharley

jeharley LawnSite Member

Going to be using Celsius on a centipede lawn for the first time in a couple of days. I have read the label but I am also interested in any advice or experiences that you guys can share regarding best practices.

I am mainly using it for control of a lot of lespedeza that is all over the lawn. There are a few other weeds here and there, including some crabgrass and other grassy weeds as well.

I ordered Southern Ag surfactant and a blue marking liquid to use as well.

1. The label says use of NIS can be dangerous to turf over 90 degrees. One reason I got Celsius was to be easy on the lawn in the SC heat. Should I skip the NIS?

2. The label says for control of lespedeza I have to use the high dose of 0.113 oz per 1k sqft but that it may take multiple applications but the maximum yearly application is 0.17 oz per 1k sqft. What is everyone's experience with this? Will Celsius knock out the lespedeza with one application at this high rate? Should I try a lower rate first?

3. The label says that dew on the grass can reduce effectiveness. I was planning to apply at sunrise because that's the lowest temperatures of the day, but there will probably be a layer of dew at that time. Should I just apply in the evening and accept the higher temps? Will this affect if I should use NIS or not?

4. Any advice for keeping this away from trees and a raised bed vegetable garden in the yard?

Any other advice or experiences regarding use of Celsius in centipede lawns and/or on lespedeza and other weeds is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

You're a homeowner right? and not a licensed applicator?

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

No centipede within a thousand miles of me. Local advice is essential.
    I am not sure the Non-ionic-surfactant (NIS) will increase the effects. In my tests with a surfactant, the weed killing effects of a three-way were about the same when NIS was included. You are right--skip the surfactant.
    True, I used surfactants often in years past--but maybe they did not actually help.

Odd, they suggest using the high rate. If you divide .17 by .113 ounces then you are allowed 1.5 treatments per year.

4. jcollett83

jcollett83 LawnSite Member

Use the mid rate of Celsius and add .25oz/A rate of msm with 25.oz of sticker and you will be fine so long as grass isnt dry.

I do test runs in my centipede lawn all the time to see if i can dent it, and I have had no problems.

5. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I always test with centipede with a pump sprayer when I'm trying something new.

I'd go with the medium rate and hit it later in the afternoon, like 4-5-6pm. If the grass is healthy and has had some water recently, it shouldn't feel any effects, but generally I skip the surfactant in the middle of summer.

hort101 and ETM like this.
  6. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I have a thread on here where I screwed up and used nearly 10x what the celsius label called for on centipede and received minimal turf damage. It's good stuff, shouldn't have much to worry about if you use the label correctly.

ETM likes this.
  7. jeharley

jeharley LawnSite Member

I basically blanket sprayed the entire lawn with the mid rate of Celsius with no NIS and a blue marking liquid. I used 3/4 teaspoon of Celsius per 4 liters (meant to do a gallon but misread the tank sprayer and accidentally did 4 liters which is a little over a gallon).

It's been almost 48 hours since application with no noticeable results. Is this normal? Is the application likely to fail since I only used the mid rate with no NIS and slightly over diluted the mixture?

I also sprayed under the drip line of several mature hardwoods and pines but kept approximately 5 feet from the trunks. I did accidentally spray a little on some exposed roots further out in the yard. Is this a concern with Celsius?

How do you guys normally dispose of the leftover Celsius mix and clean out the tank? What is the optimal place to do this if the yard is all desirable grass or areas under trees?

Thanks!

8. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Square footage would be the key here. You applied 3/4 teaspoon to how many square feet? How does that love with the label?

9. jeharley

jeharley LawnSite Member

Well the label actually just says that one gallon of solution can treat up to 1000 sqft. I treated approximately a 4500 sq ft area with about seven 4L tanks... so approx 5+ tea spoons total were applied to the 4500 sqft area

10. jeharley

jeharley LawnSite Member

I crunched the numbers a little more. It's kind of funny because I don't think the Celsius label is consistent with the recommended mix amounts.

It says you can measure out a one gallon tank by teaspoons so that's what I did. It says the high rate is 1 teaspoon per gallon and the mid rate is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. However, 1 teaspoon is .17 ounces which is stated to be the maximum annual amount. The high rate is listed at .113 oz. That's less than 3/4 tea spoon.

Anyways, I applied approximately 5.25 tea spoons to approx 4500 sq ft which comes out to about .2 oz of Celsius per 1000 sqft (almost double the high rate and over the annual limit).