Cemetary Cuts

Ocutter73

LawnSite Member
I got approached to cut a church with a cemetary sitting on 14k sf with approx 125 stones. Before I send a bid I had some specific questions. I did a search but didnt get the answer I was looking for.

1- I was planning to bid 3x the amount of a regular cut for a lawn that size for starters.

2- I noticed that others have stated that using roundup around the stones is key...ok ill put that in the bid too.

3- Easter seems to make LCOs cringe. My question was how do you operate around that holiday. Do you have a clause stating when flowers can be placed or do you add an extra cost to remove the flowers after Easter?

4- Are there any other holidays to be aware of?

The person who approached me said that we can cut on an as needed basis so the summer months can be slow there.

Thanks for all advice.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i only have experience with one cemetery and it was when i worked for another company during college. the stones were so close together that we couldn't use mowers at all. we had to use the trimmers on the whole cemetery. it wasn't fun to say the least. if all of the stones were lined up and you could fit the mower between them then it would be easy. i would just roundup around each stone and then mow. that would make it easy. if you didn't roundup you would be doing alot of trimming around every headstone....also if they are only calling you on an as needed basis then the grass would get really bad around the headstones between visits so roundup would keep it down for longer periods of time.

OP
O

Ocutter73

LawnSite Member
I can say that we can get in between the stone rows with a walk behind or rider. But in between each stone piece is about 2'. Im more concerned with the extras like the holiday and placements of flowers, pictures, plaques, etc. We are on board with weekly cuts until the heat of the summer kicks in. Thats what I meant by "as needed". Then we go back to weekly in early fall.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
yeah i see the problem. that would be alot of work to have to move all of those flowers and such around so you could cut. i would ask them about it and see if they could take care of that part of it before you show up to cut.

landpride

LawnSite Member
I would find out if the cemetary owners would disapprove of the use of Roundup around the stones. May not like the look of the dead grass aroung the headstones.
But, there is another alternative; edgeless liquid turf growth regulator by SePro. Stops the grow of grass for up to 8 weeks.

Five Points

LawnSite Member
round up will only let weeds come in then thats even worse. I look after three cem. the one has probably a thousand stones. i love them. I usually trim and let the guys cut. put my work tunes on and tune out for awhile. 125 stones is no biggie probably a quarter or less will put flowers out. we have decoration days at our cem usually around fathers day. that week ill cut it twice say mon then sat. decoration day will be sunday. After that i usually go on a ten day cycle. Helps them save a couple bucks. Also i like them because any of them I can cut at seven in the morning or evening. I dont like cutting residentials to early or late in the day. Hope that helps

ashgrove landscaping

LawnSite Gold Member
round up. hahahaha That's has to be the most disrespectful remedy and huge lack of experience I have ever heard.... It takes 10 seconds to trim a stone at the most so multiply that by number of stones and then divide by 60, equals trim time. 20 minutes to trim the stones plus your mowing time and additional trimming. As for the easter thing. Treat as any other holiday with respect. Leave the flowers and work around them. That's none of your business. It's the family's and cemetary caretaker's job.

jsslawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
round up. hahahaha That's has to be the most disrespectful remedy and huge lack of experience I have ever heard.... It takes 10 seconds to trim a stone at the most so multiply that by number of stones and then divide by 60, equals trim time. 20 minutes to trim the stones plus your mowing time and additional trimming. As for the easter thing. Treat as any other holiday with respect. Leave the flowers and work around them. That's none of your business. It's the family's and cemetary caretaker's job.
AGREE!

At my church (built in 1875) we (men of the church) take care of our 3 cemetaries. But, we do use round-up inside of the graves that have gravel. Not many flower's at all. Most families have died off. Most of our graves have two rocks marking the grave too.

horseman201

LawnSite Member
1- I was planning to bid 3x the amount of a regular cut for a lawn that size for starters.

2- I noticed that others have stated that using roundup around the stones is key...ok ill put that in the bid too.

3- Easter seems to make LCOs cringe. My question was how do you operate around that holiday. Do you have a clause stating when flowers can be placed or do you add an extra cost to remove the flowers after Easter?

4- Are there any other holidays to be aware of?

The person who approached me said that we can cut on an as needed basis so the summer months can be slow there.

Thanks for all advice.
First, how long do you think it will take to mow, weedeat and blow off the stones? Whatever you get an hour multiply that times your time. Second, weedeat the stones, don't roundup. It just looks better. The 3 cemeterys we do would all die again if we rounduped the stones. Third, mow before Good Friday so they can hide the eggs for Easter, Memorial Day weekend and decoration day if they have one. Decoration day in our area is the day that the community donates money to the fund that pays us so we make sure we go a little extra mile on cleaning things up then. Forth of July, Homecomings and Revivals are also something to ask about along with Vacation Bible school days. Hope this helps.