1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Cemetery job part two...salary/revenue expectations?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by FERT-TEK, Nov 17, 2019.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

As I mentioned In a post about best equipment for a cemetery yesterday, I have an opportunity to take a job as a cemetery caretaker next year. It is a 25 acre cemetery with a mixture of above ground and ground level head stones and will be my only job Fyi, the board of directors will be offering a salary for the work done.

This is a tough question to ask with the limited information I am offering. Respectfully, I am not going to ask you guys for actual numbers but a range. What kind of salary/annual revenue should I expect from this? I will hopefully know more about their equipment and expectations next week.

a) $15 - 20k annually
    B) 20 - 25k
    C) 25 - 30k
    D) 30 - 35k
    E) 35 - 40k

2. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

At $20 per acre you would have your earnings at B or C, which is probably reasonable

Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    FERT-TEK

$20 per acre?

4. rclawn

If they paid you $20 per acre, that is $500 per week give or take. 52 weeks in a year = $26k

Cam15 likes this.
  5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Will this be considered full time employment? As head of grounds care meaning your in charge of staff and equipment. No less then $40k.

Now on the other hand if this is just a couple days a week work solo. I would say maybe 15-20k.

These are based on year round work. If your in a place that has winter's off go ahead and drop them numbers.

6. OP
    OP
    FERT-TEK

I have been told that the hours would be 7am to 1 pm Monday through Friday. Yes they said I would be maintaining the equipment and that they would pay for all necessary certifications and insurance against property damage etc. I was also told it would be seasonal but they would pay for extra work in the off season if I wanted some

7. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

In an interview, don’t be the first one to give a number if you can help it! Ask” what’s the range f or this position?” If they give one, direct your responses to why you are qualified for the higher end!

in the opposite, if you give one, again explain why you should merit the higher end!

8. rclawn

$15 per hour x 30 hours a week would be $450 a week so my estimate was pretty close. Maybe you could convince them to pay closer to $20 an hour but I would think you’d need good reasoning to justify such, as the post above mentioned.

Good luck in negotiations!

9. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Like others have said, prove to them why you should get top dollar. Mention to them daily check offs on the apparatus you did and any maintenance you performed even though most departments subbed it out to fleet. Talk about management of crews on fire scenes if you were an officer or acting, leadership goes a long way in every job. They need to know if something goes wrong you can manage it or atleast know the right resources to correct it. And last of all congrats on retirement I've got a few years left myself in the FD.

10. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like a fair amount of work and effort to only make $15-$20 hour. It's not just mowing but also maintaining their equipment. Not fun work trimming everything there.

I think you could do better elsewhere. This would be a hard pass from me.

Cutman007, Cam15 and Jeff@diyokc like this.